Wednesday, December 28, 2011

30 Memories of 2011


It's that time again! Time to reminisce about the past year. My family and I are mildly obnoxious about musing about the past. We've been known to drive away from a vacation and immediately launch into a round of, "What was your favorite part of the vacation we just took?" Even Dan and I have begun doing this, asking questions such as, "Remember how that waiter surprised us with free sambuca?" mere days after it happened. Uh, yeah, I was there...

You know that I don't just pick the best moments a la a suburbanite's Christmas card. This years had its ups and downs and the below list reflects that. Since it was the year I turned thirty, I decided to pick thirty memories I musn't forget to remember:


January
 In January, I:

Resolved to eat at twelve new restaurants
* Updated my living room
* Celebrated friends turning 30 and dreaded my upcoming birthday



February

In February, I...

* Said goodbye to a classy lady here and here
* Made art for my bedroom

March


In March, I...

* Turned 30 and discovered my new favorite U.S. city
* Fed alligators
* Beat my 10K time from last year



April

In April, I...

* Kicked some brass
* Savannah vs. Charleston showdown
May

In May, I...

* Ran a mud run
* Started to work on our backyard


June

In June, I...

* Kayaked along the Potomac for Dan's birthday
*
Saw our city as tourists
* Finished our backyard make-over

July

In July, I...
* Updated our bathroom
* Went on beach vacation with our family
* Played golf for first time ever... at night


August


In August, I...

* Biked 8 mile night time ride
*
Survived Earthquake 2011!
September


In September, I...
*
Opened up about our loss

October


In October, I...

* Danced in a flash mob to this song
* Won a costume contest
* Listened to the wedding roast... errr... toast
* Hiked the Appalachian Trail

November


In November, I...


* Wrote about an odd type of gratitude
* Officially became a published writer!
NOTE: After four years of corresponding with a Virginia Tech professor, I was finally sent a copy of this book containing a lesson plan I created on The Outsiders! Never blogged about this because it's kinda boring to anyone who doesn't teach eighth grade English, but Ponyboy would be proud.

December



In December, I...

* Went to an "H is for Holiday" party
* Restored my belief in Santa
* Rocked a resolution


Want more memories? Remember that time I was a juror for a murder trial? Or when I almost passed out after bikram yoga? No? Then, go to the 2010 breakdown here.


I'm nothing if not thorough in my reminscences.

5 comments:

Josie said...

Christen... 2011 was a huge year for you and I'm sure you're both sad and happy to leave it in the past. Here's to lots of happy, fabulous adventures in 2012, okay?
xo Josie

TheLab said...

Oh oh oh! I cannot BELIEVE you didn't tell us about the published lesson plan! Christen, that's INCREDIBLE! You must be so proud! I think I would be buying up a hundred copies if I were you! Great job! I wish I could see it, and I love that book!

This was a great re-cap! Happy new year to you guys!

Christen said...

Thanks, Leslie! Honestly, I thought the book wasn't really going to happen because I kept hearing about it off and on for four years and I almost forgot about it. Then, without any e-mail or anything, I open the mail to find this book and almost throw it into our attic thinking it was some freebie from a teacher conference or something. I happen to flip through the table of contents and see my name! :)

Meghan said...

Oh my gosh! You were in a flash mob?!?!?! Can we please be friends???

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Just by this post, I can tell we have a lot in common and I look forward to reading along in 2012! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

You took a year that some (like me) found tough and turned it into an adventure. How did I not know that you are a published author? --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...