Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Wedding Roast... err... toast

"I've got the microphone and you don't,
SO YOU WILL LISTEN TO EVERY DAMN WORD I HAVE TO SAY!"

- The Wedding Singer
My husband loves an audience. Loves. An. Audience. And he got one this past weekend when he gave the toast for his sister's wedding. Dan + microphone + captive yet drunk audience = his idea of the best day ever.
Oh yeah, and it was also nice for him to see his sister get married.

Emily and her hubby Dan looked so happy. Yep, her hubby has the same name as her brother. And, yep, my Dan worked that into his speech. He also worked in playful jibes about her being a vegetarian ("I wish you a long marriage filled with love and absolutely no... chicken, steak, or pork"). There was even a long-running joke about her obsession with the New Kids on the Block as a kid. He went so far as to read a fake congratulations e-mail from NKOTB's Jordan in a crazy Boston accent during his speech. Wicked funny. It brought down the house.

If Dan's the funny one in our relationship, I guess I'm more... detail oriented. I just have to share some of the sweet touches from this wedding.
First, the venue. They chose the Valentine Museum's courtyard. Here's where they said their vows. Dan and I got there an hour early, so I snapped a bunch of pictures before the guests arrived:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Emily had a welcome table with black and white wedding photos of all her family members.


Photobucket





Pretty shot of one of the tables and, of course, the cake:


Photobucket





Photobucket


I loved the wild flowers in the mason jars. Dan and I were the "take the gifts to the car people" and when we were packing, my MIL said I could keep a few of the jars. I'll be "pinteresting" mason jars soon to see what I can do with all of them.
Photobucket


Photobucket

Emily came up with her purple and green color scheme because most of the flowers growing in the garden were those colors. Practical and pretty, no?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Okay, enough details! Time to meet the happy couple:


Photobucket


Em didn't really like the idea of having a troupe of matching bridesmaids, so instead she let her two closest friends pick their own dresses. She's pretty much the opposite of a Bridezilla, and you know these girls love her for it. One of the bridesmaids even joked about her laidback attitude by making her a shirt for the bachelorette party that with these words on the front:

Please stop calling it "my special day".

The back of the shirt? It said, "No, I haven't been dreaming of this day all my life." It was freaking hilarious, given that we know Emily is pretty low key about this whole thing.
Photobucket

Dan walking his mom down the aisle. I love this picture of her so happy.
Photobucket

Not a dry eye in the house:
Photobucket

Afterwards, we had crabcakes, pecan chicken, and squash ravioli while sitting around the courtyard. The wedding planner packed a few boxes of leftovers in our car afterwards, and since the bride and groom left immediately on their honeymoon, we got to keep it. All of that food made for a rock ass lunch the next day :)
Photobucket
This is the last picture I took before it got too dark and we started drinking /dancing in a giant circle. (Sidenote: I think it's so fun and cheesy and great when people make a dance circle at weddings and then people jump in the center one at a time and cheer on each other like they're on Soul Train. It's awesome.)
Photobucket


Do they look happy or what?


Equally as happy as a certain other Dan I know, who retorically asked me after the wedding, "Everyone thought my speech was funny, huh??"


It was his special day, after all.

2 comments:

Josie said...

That venue is STUNNING! I love it. And your dress is super pretty, my dear.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Holly said...

Beautiful wedding! And the pic of y'all in front of the fountain is adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...