Sunday, May 29, 2011

Backyard Progress

Turns out, there was a reason Dan and I've slacked on landscaping the past five years...


Landscaping is no joke.


In the past, we've settled on just using our backyard as a pass-thru to get to the alley to take out the trash. We've eaten out there exactly once, 4th of July with friends the first year we bought it.


After that, we somehow decided that it wasn't worth dealing with all the issues: the mis-matched fence, the monkey grass, the mountains of magnolia leaves, the hazardous patio with jagged slates, the poison ivy hidden in said monkey grass, the leaning tree, the unpruned bushes, and the influx of mosquitoes attracted, no doubt, by the effing monkey grass.


This spring, though, we finally decided that the monkey grass was done ruining our lives and that it was time to work on the backyard. While it doesn't look like much of a change, believe me, it was a ton of work. Here's our progress so far...


Before, when everything was overgrown:
Photobucket




After Dan and I spent hours pick-axing the monkey grass, planting six hostas, and mulching:


Photobucket

Before of bush/tree:
Photobucket




After we pruned the tree, axed up more monkey grass, put down stones, and planted three shade-happy plants in colorful pots:



Photobucket

Photobucket




Before, our patio without furniture:

Photobucket


Progress, now that we've purchased a table and chair set and filled up two trash cans of magnolia leaves:
Photobucket


Photobucket


We decided to make good on our spring resolution to actually use our backyard, so we made dinner for friends on Memorial Day. I couldn't resist picking up some bright accents, like lanterns to drape over the back fence
Photobucket

and cheap-o Target plates to go with the throw pillows:
Photobucket


I spray painted these terra cotta pots (Rustoleum's Lagoon and Key Lime, in case anyone else is interested) and potted a few other plants for some color near the patio:
Photobucket

Lastly, we bought corn hole to play (horrible name, great game). I'm all about the outdoor games lately, and am planning on investing in a bocce set soon.



Ignore the leaves in the below pic. We were completely spent after the rest of the backyard. And honestly, trying to keep them picked up is a losing battle.
Photobucket

Photobucket


So that's our progress so far. I know it doesn't look like much, but it felt like a huge difference from the disaster we started with.


And I have to say that hanging out in our backyard finally was pretty damn rewarding!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

Strand Family said...

It looks great! And it is hard work....those young house love people need to stop. They make me feel totally inadequate!

I can't tell you how many times I come in from yard work and say "We are condo people! Why did we buy a house?!" I really feel like the dandelions and creeping charlie have some sort of vendetta against me and plan all winter on how to win the war. Finally decided to plant evergreens along the garage because I'm sick of being embarrassed when I see our green thumb neighbors walking along the alley.

Josie said...

It looks so good, Christen! I love the bright accents you picked up and it looks like your Memorial Day gathering was a definite success.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Christen said...

Thanks for the positive vibes, guys!

Yeah, YHL makes me feel inadequate too (even though I'll still check their blog twice a day and kinda love everything they do). Real life just isn't a magazine spread.

We have a green thumb neighbor too who actually said to Dan the other day, "Would you like to borrow our weed wacker? Or I could help you cut back a few bushes, if you want." Uh... message received. Time to landscape the front.

Hattie said...

You are brave! Yardwork is not my thing. Once our house is built i'm going to hire someone to plan a super low-maintenance yard for us. Your hard work paid off though!

Carrie Hewitt said...

I love the patio! We have no trees so we would melt back there in the summertime. I'd take your leaves any day! Wish we could come over to enjoy it with you sometime :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...