Monday, July 13, 2009

The "Mid-Summer Day's Dream" list

When I was a kid, I loved summer so much that I would try to bottle as much as I could to savor later. Literally. I would take glass jars to the beach to save sand. I would capture glowing fireflies in mason jars until my mom made me release the poor bugs. I would write poems about summer, and try reading them again when it was freezing and rainy and I had piles of homework to do each night. It's so hard to capture those feelings of summer.

Well, much like I was as a kid, I'm trying to preserve my perfect, lazy Saturday before the details fade from my memory. You might be able to tell I'm an English teacher from the dorky Shakespeare pun on my title of my list...

My Mid-Summer Day's Dream:

* Going to tea time with my mom, swooning over bits of cheesecake tarts and cream puffs and croissants. Yes, tea time... how classy are we?
* Strolling and smelling fresh cut grass
* Dangling my legs in the pool (that we snuck into- hee! hee!) with my mom and hubby. There was so much brilliant blue with the sky and pool. There was so much brilliant red on Dan's skin when he came home.
* Fresh dinner with a salad of sun-ripened peaches, mozzarella, and prosciutto and barbeque.

I spent my Monday surfing the Internet and feeling wistful. I wish I could bottle that afternoon.

When I went on Etsy.com and started gazing at all the gorgeous photographs, I stopped at alicebgardens and her airy, sweet summer photos. Somehow they seemed to completely capture my dreamy day:

Girly and sweet...

Leisurely and lush...

Endlessly blue...


Sun-ripened and juicy...

If you adore these photos too (the dandelion picture was hers, too!), you have to go to Alicebgardens. She also has portraitures that are absolutely extraordinary! (A big thank you to her for letting me post her gorgeous pictures on my lowly, little blog!)

I had the same initial feeling when I spotted these pictures as I did when I went to sleep on Saturday: that I wanted to bask in this dreamy world a little longer.

Since I can't do that, I'll just continue to blog about these delicious summer moments.

"Summer's lease hath all too short a date." - Shakespeare

12 comments:

Strand Family said...

Love the pictures! What an amazing summer day. And I'm impressed by your shakespeare quote...you've inspired me to somehow work one into my blog. ;)

Courtney D said...

Beautiful! Visiting from SITS - I love your lists!

Chrissy said...

Stopping by from SITS!! Happy Monday.

Hattie said...

oooh, where did you find to have tea in Richmond? I know there are a few places, but I don't know how good they are. oh, and I'm really craving cupcakes now :-)

Missy said...

You're the cutest!
I did laugh about the redness of Dan's skin....I can do that because I have the same affliction.

Ginger said...

Lovely, lovely! I feel like I've been on a dreamy summer excursion! Thanks for sharing.

Like you, I also teach English (seniors) and love my job for the most part. :) It's nice to corroberate..ahem..collaberate with like-minded SiTStas.

Trish said...

Just dropped by from SITS to share some blog love......

I am soooo into To-Do list...I think it should be a medical condition :O)

the sunflower girl said...

i dont think i cant wait any longer... for summer that is to come. Im currently in Southern Africa and it is freezing here! I know exactly what i'll be doing in the summer and it has nothing to do with the indoors!

x
x
x

Aline said...

those photos are just lovely...summer is the best!

Beth in NC said...

Just coming over from SITS. What a wonderful summery feel. You made me have warm fuzzies AND took me back to a Mid Summer Night's Dream. Ahhhh.

Blessings!
Beth

Carlito86 said...

What a beautiful post and gorgeous pictures. X

Heather said...

These are amazing! I love the cupcake picture! I'm going to go check out her other work! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for stopping by my blog and following!!! :) Have a wonderful day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...