Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halloween decor: Part 1

I kinda love Edgar Allan Poe, even though I've taught "The Raven" and "The Tell-Tale Heart" for seven years straight now. And even though he was more than a bit of a weirdo. (Whenever I teach about him, one of my students will inevitably shriek, "He married his cousin?!" followed by a chorus of "ewwws" and inappropriate "Was he from West Virginia?" jokes that last for at least ten minutes. It's hilarious.)

Anyway, reading his stories every October gets me in the Halloween spirit. I decided this year to have an Edgar Allan Poe meets Hitchcock theme for my house decor, with plenty of ravens, black accents, and macabre accessories:

I've had so much fun slowly putting the decorations together! And playing with my camera's settings for extra mood. Here is my mantle in "day" lighting:

And now with the "candlelight" setting:


Spooky, huh?

I started by swapping out our lovey-dovey wedding pictures over the mantle for some sinister (free) art by printing out these three pictures from Hitchcock's The Birds and popping them in the frames.

The one with the bird shadows really freaks me out!

Then, I gussied up the mantle...

On the left side, I put a $2 plate from Target, a magnifying glass (for a "mad scientist" feel), and a bottle of wine with a "poison" sticker slapped on the front.

Thirsty? :)

On the other side, I put my alarm clock, a couple candles, and a raven:


I usually pull this guy out when I teach "The Raven", but I decided he would be more at home on my mantle with a handful of dried leaves:

In the middle of the mantle, I plopped down my chalkboard pumpkin I DIYed the other day:
I love orange pumpkins, but this going-through-a-goth-phase look gives me a kick too!

Finally, I finished off the living room by "mouse-ifying" my stairs, like I did last year:
Eeek!

Moving on to the foyer, I didn't do much here besides hang the photo of Central Park that Dan bought the day after he proposed to me there. I never looked at this picture as "spooky" per se, but the trees' spindly branches seemed to fit in with the decor.
I figure that I'll set up our jack o' lanterns and candy under this on a little table later on to greet friends and any trick or treaters that swing by.

In the dining room, I carried on the foreboding theme with my crazy raven silhouettes. (I just popped them into the frames that usually showcase black and white photography. Read specifics from last year here.)

Yep, these bad-ass birds are back...

swooping off ledges:

Staring ominously from frames:

And even trying to peck their friends free...
This is also the room where I set up a Halloween tree that I picked up this year

with hanging boxes (leftover from my dinner party last year) filled with our favorite candy:

Side note: If you haven't tried these pumpkin Hershey kisses, you need to. You'll thank me later.

This tree is a little cheesy, but it definitely helps me tap into my inner kid! (Any excuse to gorge on above candy...)


I'll show off my dining room table once I finish one little thing! Oh, and if you have any seasonal decor pics you want to share, feel free to include a link in your comment! :)

Hope you enjoyed the creepy tour!


I'm participating in the CSI challenge:
P.S. - If you haven't already, feel free to enter my giveaway!

(Picture credits: Hershey kisses, Hitchcock picture 1, 2, and 3)

10 comments:

Strand Family said...

I love it!! So creative. The mice are amazing.
I remember in my high school film study class all of us didn't get the birds. We kept asking "but why are they there? Why did they show up? That should be the scary part." Funny thing was years later I saw an article about how old scary movies don't have the same impact on today's generation because they have too many things that happen for no reason. I think the birds were created by some crazy scientist doing genetic modification, like killer bees. Now that's scary!

Josie said...

I officially LOVE the mantel decorations you've put up -- it's Halloween decorations done in a classy way!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Debbiedoos said...

You really went all out. I loved it all...creepy yes, fun absolutely! I love your blog...I will be following now, I would love to see what else you come up with. I have those Mice too...they are so much fun!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

What a great Halloween mantel! I love all your Halloween decor. Especially the crows!

Christen said...

You're totally right, Laura... that movie was kinda weird. Even Psycho had some things that were unexplained, like why did that woman steal the money and what did that have to do with anything? hmm... questions...

Heather said...

I love the creepy bird theme! So creative and original! The bird sillouettes and movie stills are amazing ideas!

Kara Endres said...

I love everything! That's a great idea, swapping out your photos for some eerie hitchcock- I love that movie. That crooked photo with the bird perched on top is such a cute idea. Where did you get those birds and mice- are they wall stickers?

http://sprinklesinsprings.blogspot.com/

Cheryl said...

wholly molly....you are so creative..I dream of stuff like that!!
Amazing....halloween is one of my favorites!!!

Tatum @ Tatum's Take said...

Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog and for you kind comment! I am loving your Halloween decor. You are quite creative. The mice on the stairs look great and the birds on the wall and in the frame is soooo clever. I would have never thought of that.

Great job!
Manymomentsofme.blogspot.com

Rocio @ Casa Haus said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping at Casa Haus the other day! Your decorations are terrific! I absolutely love the mice and the crows... LOVE it! You've got yourself one new follower!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...