Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The "Halloween Decor" List

(Scary Hitchcock picture from here)

Why are birds so creepy when they're in huge groups?

I've remember feeling pretty nervous when I was suddenly surrounded by menacing pigeons at Trafalgar Square during Dan and my visit to London. They surrounded me like an angry mob and made all kinds of crazy coohing sounds. I actually remember barking something like, "Take the damn picture already!" to Dan when they started fluttering near my face. He proceeded to take his time and crack up over my bird hysteria.


So in the same vein as Hitchcock, I decided there was no better way to decorate for Halloween than with a scary bird motif! I love Poe's creepy poem "The Raven" and was so excited when I saw there raven silhouettes at Michael's for $4.00 per package. When I was playing hooky from writing class yesterday, I decided to do a little decorating. I removed all of the wedding photos from the frames in my dining room and filled them with the raven silhouettes. The whole operation took about fifteen minutes and a few sticky tabs to finish...

I tilted some of the pictures so that it would look like some of the bird silhouettes were trying to peck their feathered friends free from the frames:



Here's my dining room before:


And after my creepy bird invasion (sorry for the awful quality of the pictures- I desperately need a new camera!):





To finish the look, I put a few shiny, red delicious apples into a branch bowl to resemble "wicked" apples and added some black skulls from the dollar store on the table:
We're throwing a murder mystery dinner party later this month, so I just wanted to play with the set-up of the table.

Is anybody out there all about Halloween too? Please share! Oh, and enjoy our other Halloween decor pictures:

Stairs before:


Stairs after:



Mantle with gourds from supermarket:


Cinderella pumpkin that my sister bought for me (Can you believe this is a real pumpkin?? It looks so perfect!)




8 comments:

Strand Family said...

oh my goodness! I love it! That was worth playing hooky to do. Will you come decorate my house?

wahookate said...

Your place looks so cute!! Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

The stairs are AMAZING!!!! I love it!!

Hattie said...

Too cute! I love it all, but those crows are my favorite. I love how you made the frames hang at an angle, it really adds something :-)

TheLab said...

Love the crows sitting on the frame edges! Awesome decorating!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Your house looks great! Also, I'm so jealous that you're doing a murder mystery party!!

Carrie Hewitt said...

Christen,
I'm following your blog, but you can't tell because I use a service called "Bloglines". Have you heard of it? It puts this icon on my desktop that signals when you update your blog along with the others that I follow. That way I don't have to keep checking it. Does Google Connect do that too? Just wanted you to know that I am keeping up with you....and I LOVE the decorations!

Anonymous said...

Unbelieveable transformation of your pictures and rooms for Halloween. You are so creative. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...