Sunday, November 8, 2009

Just do it #7: Throw a theme party!

This past Saturday was just an ordinary night, supposed to be filled with laying low and watching SNL. Halloween was last week, and everyone had officially packed up their costumes back in their attics.

So one might ask after perusing this post's pictures: "How did you end up having eight adults dressed up as 1920's characters in your living room?" At least I think that's what my neighbor is still pondering after he saw me through my kitchen window putting my chicken Parmesan into the oven while wearing my red feather boa and black gloves. Does he think that Dan had requested that I do a kinky dress-up thing while serving him dinner? Is that why he couldn't return my hello when I took the garbage out this morning? When our guests arrived, did my other unbelievably snoopy neighbors assume Dan and I had many friends with theater degrees who wouldn't resist a good costume? I'm thinking that survey says "yes".

So why did we all dress up this past Saturday? Lest you make one of the same assumptions as my neighbors, I'll clarify. I finally threw my murder mystery dinner party! It was an item on my whimsical "to do" list for a while now, and once I had shelled out the money for the murder mystery kit (yes, people do buy these), nothing was going to stop me, not even when my original Halloween date fell through.

Considering that my Just do it #6 (participate in a creative writing class) was a big flop after I skipped two out of the six classes, I thought you all might enjoy reading about this equally lame (but oh-so-fun!) challenge. Here's how it went down...

The story:

It is November 7, 1928 in Chicago. Notorious gangster Harold "Hal" Coppone's return was expected to trigger a wave of violence. Instead, Coppone has disappeared, mystifying police and the criminal underworld. To the small group gathered in a speakeasy near Coppone's headquarters, the crime lord's whereabouts become only part of the mystery when murder is discovered. Eight people, who all want to learn the secret of “Hal” Coppone’s murder, meet in the back room on a club to figure out the crime.

The characters:

Slinky M. Adame and Eddie G. Ambler

Bethany (AKA Slinky) couldn't resist mercilessly teaching her boyfriend Joe (Eddie) about the fact that he had originally bought this white, pin-striped suit to wear to work. After he received one too many "you look like a pimp!" comments, he decided to put it in the back of his closet... that is until he had the chance to pull it out again to play a stylish gambler.

She's one to talk! Bethy sported her homecoming dress from tenth grade.

Billy (the Kid) Thrower and Molly M. Awbsterr
Yes, the names are super cheesy. Say them fast and you realize they are puns.
Just call me Molly "Mobster".


Eddie R. Gyle and Scoop, the hard-working reporter
LOVED these costumes. Tyler even propped his golf bag against the wall to complete his rich-boy golfer look.

Torchy, the sultry lounge singer, (her dress was perfect for the part) and S. Treigthon Harrow, the district attorney. Also, you get a better shot of Tyler's massive golf prop.


The food:
"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - The Godfather

We cooked (ahem... and also bought) mostly Italian food to fit the mafia theme. I know this is way more information than anyone needs, but in case you are interested, here's what Dan and I served...

* Appetizers: olives, cheeses, crackers, shrimp cocktail, bread sticks
* Dinner: cranberry-spinach salad, garlic bread, homemade Parmesan chicken (yay! I didn't burn it!!), Maggiano's four-cheese ravioli
* Dessert: Cannolis from local deli and homemade ice cream sandwiches




Isn't my murder mystery set-up pretty? :)


Fast-forward five hours of playing the game, drinking, and just regular conversation later, I think my "just do it #7" was a success!

Just a few other pictures you might like:

Me trying to force my gloves back on after one too many raspberry champagne cocktails. Dan thought it was hilarious to document my valiant efforts.

Trying again to get photo ready!

The guys weren't as into taking photos as the girls were...


Here's our winner! Bethy was the only one to figure out this very-convoluted plot.

So, I think for my next "Just do it" challenge, I'm going to try something a little more strenuous. After all those cannolis and Halloween candy, it's time to get back in shape. I'm going to try something athletic, perhaps Bikram yoga. What do you all think of me + twenty-seven yoga positions + 105 degree heat?

Well, that or something else equally challenging. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the murder mystery party was a big success! All your hard work paid off. Mom

Heidi said...

This is AWESOME! It looks like a blast, your characters were dressed perfectly, the food looks scrumptious & your house is too cute-the crows in the dining room are awesome. Where did you get your kit from?

TheLab said...

OK, wait - so you know someone who can still fit into their homecoming dress from 10th grade? Now THAT'S awesome.

Aline said...

I have been to one of those...it was so much fun! You did such a great job!

Christen said...

Thanks for the chicken parm recipe, mom!

Hattie said...

That looks like so much fun! I love that all your guests really got into character.

Anonymous said...

I loved how this post started out as a mystery! You are so creative. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...