Sunday, October 10, 2010

Just do it #13 (take 2): Seven posts in seven days

"I have not survived against all odds.
I have not lived to tell.
I have not witnessed the extraordinary.
This is my story."


- from Enclopedia of an Ordinary Life,
by Amy Krouse Rosenthal


Yesterday, when I was killing time at the bookstore with Dan, I ran across this book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal:
Image of book cover from here.

In it, she describes the ordinary observations, pitfalls, and sweet successes that make up her life. She also manages to weave humor throughout, like this:


Um, who reading hasn't leaned to try to magically prevent a bowling ball from going in the gutter?!

and this:
Ha ha! Too funny, right?

Anyway, I was struck with how similar the idea for an encyclopedia for an "ordinary" life is like blogging. We all are writing about our little moments or projects or observations... and hoping someone else connects and cares what we have to say.

I love it.

Which brings me to my "just do it #13: Seven posts in seven days."

Look, 13 is an unlucky number. You see, my first try at "just do it challenge" #13 was to "Participate in fantasy football". We all know that idea completely bombed. So, then I decided to re-try my 13th challenge with something completely different and void of anything to do with sports: try to write seven posts in seven days. And I have to say, it was kind of fun! I had a few ideas of things I had been meaning to post and this forced me to just sit down and write, rather than just thinking about it.

Also, I gained a whole new appreciation for the bloggers who work full-time or stay at home with small children that manage to post daily! Never again will I get indignant when one of my favorite blogs forgets to post for a day or two! Who am I to judge anyway? My blog goes neglected for weeks at a time, especially during hectic months.

It was nice to give it a little attention. :)

Here's a re-cap of the past seven days:

Monday: I confessed to NOT participating in fantasy football
Tuesday: I showed the updates on my living room.
Wednesday: I dished about my apple, cheddar, thyme galette and apple pumpkin muffins
Thursday: I wrote about coming out the other side of my crappy September
Friday: I posted Halloween DIY projects
Saturday: I slacked off. Whoops. My hubby appreciated my break from blogging :)
Sunday: I wrote this post!

Oh, well. Six out of seven ain't bad. In fact, Dan convinced me to skip Saturday's post by saying, "If you were batting baseball, hitting six out of seven would get you in the Hall of Fame!" (He forgets sometimes that I don't get sports metaphors... )

Verdict: a success, even if it wasn't.

Thank you all for reading about my extraordinarily ordinary life! :)

To find out more about the book, go to her website. All pictures are from here.

5 comments:

Carrie Hewitt said...

I have so enjoyed your posts! I even bought some pumpkin in a can today with your recipe in mind. I, however, did not buy apples or flour, so.....guess it might have to wait a week!

Josie said...

Dear girl, I've been LOVING having you around a little more! I swear, it makes my day when you post. Definitely a successful venture!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love your extrodinarily ordinary life (and also Dan's sports metaphors even though I don't get them either). Great post. Love, Mom

Shannon said...

I have that book! Someday, when I have 4 seconds to myself again, I'll have to pull it out and read it again. And good job on the posting streak. It's gotten soooo much harder to post since not working anymore...I never knew staying at home all day would keep me so busy.

Anonymous said...

Don't let anyone tell you that you're not extraordinary. It takes special skill to find the extraordinary in the ordinary (which is all we have). -smc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...