Friday, October 8, 2010

Halloween DIY projects

I've really enjoyed my "seven posts in seven days" challenge so far, but Dan and I are going to a movie in a few minutes, so this one is going to be less writing (but more pictures!)

I got a little bit crafty when I came home from school today by trying a few Halloween decoration projects. First, I bought two pumpkins and gave them a spooky makeover by spraying them with chalkboard paint I had leftover from this project.


I put the biggest one on my mantle and wrote on it with my chalkboard pen:


Kinda fun, right? :)

The smaller one is now in my kitchen with this message:
Sorry for the lousy picture quality, but, trust me, they came out cute!

Then, I made some DIY art for my mantle by printing out framing photos from the movie The Birds by Hitchcock.
I love the old-fashioned horror movie vibe that is going on in my living room right now!

Lastly, I tried to replicate YHL's gourds. That, however, did not go as well. Here's what their gourd project looked like:
Photo via here.

They almost look like porcelain, don't they?

And here's how mine looked after three tries at spray painting:
Not a fan! The paint was dripping, cracking, and peeling off. I ended up trashing them, since I have plenty of other decor already. Who knew that a simple spray painting project was best left to the professional decorators??

Anyhoo, I'm still waiting for the candlestick I ordered to come in before I show the whole Halloween shebang, but it's coming soon!
Via here.
I'm off to the movies; Dan and I have been on a roll with picking great ones lately (The Social Network last weekend and The Town a few weeks before that). Here's to hoping tonight's is good too!

2 comments:

Josie said...

I LOVE the pumpkins! Adorable.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Hattie said...

Cute pumpkins! I haven't had good luck spray painting plastic gourds either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...