Sunday, May 20, 2012

Things I'm afraid to tell you




This blog topic was the genius idea of Ez from Creature Comforts and several other bloggers.  Basically, bloggers are airing their metaphorical dirty laundry, their faults, their insecurities.  Then, Mimi and Meg, a fabulous blog, decided to keep this honesty revolution going, so I thought I would join. 

Things I'm Afraid to Tell You

1.  I'm scared of burning out as a teacher.  Mind you, I don't think this is happening yet.  I still put in way too many hours and try to come up with great lessons.  I just don't want the non-stop stress to get to me and somehow turn into Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.   "Anyone?  Anyone??"  

2.  Our laundry is never done.  Ever.  When I look for, say, my striped shirt, I need to check my closet, drawers, two baskets of clean clothes spilling out onto the living room, and the dryer.  Dan and I have a silent power struggle over who will be the first to cave and fold. It could be a psychological experiment on marriage: let's put this basket and a couple in a room with a two-way mirror.  What can I say? It's the one chore we both hate.

3.  Dan's better at keeping his cool than me.  All you married folks know the rules:  Don't go to bed angry.  Don't yell.  Don't bring up other issues in a fight.  How a couple fights is deemed just as important as how compatible they are.  Yet I'm ashamed to admit that Dan is usually an all star at fighting because he follows all of these rules like a diligent student and is able to keep Obama-style calm.  I'm not saying that he's right in fights, but he does know how to fight right, if that makes sense. I, however, am the one who will have to apologize for the way I fought, for stomping out of the room or for bringing up "Yeah?  Well, you didn't do the dishes last night!" during a quibble about, say, money.  It's one marriage thing I'm definitely continuing to work on.

4.  I feel guilty about needing a break.   After my miscarriage last September, I cried off and on for three days.  Then, I talked with Dan about putting our efforts towards a family on hold.  I was exhausted from a year of peeing on sticks and, of course, our loss.  Many of you have been there before.  The blood clots the size of silver dollars, having to go through an ultrasound with no exuberant "listen to the heartbeat!" moment, the "it wasn't meant to be" platitudes, the follow-up visits to the gyno flipping through Parents magazine listening to pregnant patients complain about swollen feet... I was done.  I thought I would take off a month or two.   Fast forward seven blissfully carefree months later, I finally am ready again.  

I am afraid to say out loud that I feel guilty and self-indulgent for taking that much time off (wasting all that baby making time) and am scared of trying again, of losing, of our lives changing.  I just keep wishing someone could promise me that none of this would hurt at all.   Which is silly, of course. 

I know this is heavier than my other things (hard to compare number 4 to, say, leaving laundry on the floor).  I'm not posting this because I want any sort of responses; it's just that baby stuff is on my mind a lot and if I'm going to reveal shit I'm afraid to say, this has to be on it.

What are you afraid to tell people?  Feel free to click here and join too!

9 comments:

Strand Family said...

hmmm...I'd be afraid to say the things I'm actually afraid of. I'll have to think about it.

I completely understand why you would need time off from all the baby stuff. It is hard to be going through that month after month. Like everything, sometimes you need a break.

And I have to say we have a laundry chute in our new house. I opened the closet door to the chute in the basement and a pile taller than me was staring at me. That's how long we will go before doing laundry. In college I bought new underwear to put off laundry for 1 more week.

Missy said...

Dude,
The laundry thing is HILARIOUS because it is so true in my house as well. I just keep it confined to our bedroom and keep cleaning the rest of the house, pretending it doesn't exist. I may or may not have forced my kid into bathing suit bottoms because she had no clean undies. We have also discussed just making a pile of it in the backyard and lighting it on fire but I think our neighbors would think that was "odd." Jerks.
Don't feel guilty. Life's really shitty sometimes and you have to do what you have to do to stay sane.
I love you.

Christen said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies!

Missy, looking forward to seeing you and Mali soon! :)

Josie said...

Christen. I have no words for this post except that it's AWESOME. So honest, real, and says so much. Lots and lots and LOTS of love sent to you.
xo Josie

TheLab said...

I am not joking when I tell you that you TOTALLY just helped me. The folding laundry thing is my most hated. And Brett doesn't care about laundry not being put away. Currently, there are GIANT piles of clean laundry and last night I nearly cried. It's stupid. And I try really hard not to say anything because I don't want to be a crazy wife. Your post made me feel better about it, and realize that no, "Everyone else puts their laundry away" is not true. And it's really OK. Thank you - for real.

Knowing people on all stages of the baby trying stuff, and all of the dumb things people say to them, or the totally unhelpful things, I'll refrain from saying anything other than I wish you fun in the process.

Thanks for posting this!

Mrs. 5C said...

Hi Christen! Thanks for your comment on my blog! :)

I love this blog topic "Things I'm Afraid to Tell You". It's easy to frame the perfect life while writing a blog. This takes guts.

Laundry totally sucks. I agree. Before Rob started staying home, we totally fought that battle ALL. THE. TIME. I always caved and folded.

You're so smart for recognizing that you needed a break from the damn pee sticks, AND THEN TAKING IT! Pee sticks suck. Don't feel guilty!

Laura said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Wow, so much honesty. I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope that things are better for you going forward. That must have been really hard.

Something my mom always says (she had 3 miscarriages) is that if any of those pregnancies had been successful, she wouldn't have the children that she does. So WHEN you do have a baby, it will make them even more special. :)

Nat said...

Thanks for sharing this! Don't feel guilty about taking a break trying for a baby, I think you have to do what's right for you when you're ready. The process of making a baby is so much harder than anyone prepares you for. We will be married 3 yrs this August and I honestly thought we would have a baby by now, maybe 2 but I just haven't felt ready yet. It's driving everyone in both of our families crazy (b/c we've been together 9 yrs total) but we are just enjoying our lives so much we can't commit to it yet.

Anonymous said...

I found this your most moving post ever! I have no other words for it. --smc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...