Thursday, May 24, 2012

Can I get a "Here! Here"??

So my cousin Meghan asked me to give a toast at her wedding this upcoming weekend.

My response? "Uhh... sure! (nervous laugh), I'll just need a cocktail first! (nervous laugh)."

In my head:  *nervous laugh*  Eeek! 

Then:  What will I write?  I don't know anything about her relationship at all... Man, I wish I just had one story I could weave into my speech!  Should I try to be funny?  No, I don't want to hear crickets chirping...  Should I talk about how I know her and how our familes have spent almost every Thanksgiving with her family?  Nah...  Maybe I'll just read a sappy poem?? 

Finally:  Oh! And I need to get Dan to be that guy that calls out "Here! Here!" after I say "Raise your glasses to the happy couple"!  This girl doesn't want any awkward silence when I finish!

Speaking of Thanksgiving, the below pic is from this year's holiday outside Maggiano's.  (Our moms wanted a year off from cooking- ha ha!)  See the glowing bride in the middle? Side note:  look at the bottom.  The red hat? That was her son, who tried to photobomb us at the last second, but was too short to make it in the shot.  :)


But back to the speech.  Ya'll, I hate public speaking. I realize this is kind of random phobia for a teacher who has to speak in front of three classes of 30+ kids daily, but that's so much easier. Those kiddos are fourteen and half tuning me out anyway. This will be to drunk adults!  And again, while I know that they are a very happy couple, I don't have much of an idea about cutesy stories or anything.  I got nothing.

Well, not nothing.  I have a start, and it will do, I think.  Mind if I share with you and you can send feedback?  The one thing I know about her relationship is how he proposed, which is cute.  So I'm milking that one story for all I can.

Here's what I have so far:

Hi, I’m Christen, Meghan’s godsister. When she first asked me to make a toast, I thought to myself, “Boy, do I have some stories I could tell about Meghan!”


I’ve known Meghan for many years and almost every year for the last three decades our family has spent Thanksgiving together. Instead of telling you all my stories, I’ll just tell you one tidbit you may already know about her: Meghan loves her sleep. I know after the big turkey meal, Meghan always, no matter what, is sure to take her nap. Anyone who knows Meghan knows that she really enjoys her sleep, whether it’s a holiday or not. And this brings me to the story of Meghan and Tremayne’s engagement.

They were on vacation when one morning Meghan was awoken by Tremayne when he turned on all the lights. Of course, she didn’t want to wake up because she loves her sleep, so she begged him to turn the lights off, but he told her to open her eyes. And when she cracked an eyelid, she saw him waiting with a ring and a proposal. You know, I can’t think of a nicer way to wake up than that.

So, if you would, raise your glass! To waking up to love each morning! We love you and wish you all the best!



Okay, all toastmasters out there.  What do you think?  Any tips for nailing this thing?

3 comments:

Strand Family said...

I think is is sweet. You'll get a big drunk "awwww" at the end. Since I'm someone who absolutely treasures my sleep, I can totally relate to Meghan!

Christen said...

Thanks, Laura! Yeah, I'm hoping for the drunk "awwww". Or at least the slow clap that crescendos into thunderous applause. Just kidding!

Josie said...

Christen, I think this is a GREAT toast! It's personal but not too emotional that you'll fall apart -- and you can always count on Dan to close it out for you!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...