Tuesday, May 29, 2012

21. Give a wedding toast

As mentioned on Friday, I was asked to give a toast at my godsister Meghan's  wedding.  I was pretty nervous about being the center of attention until I finally realized a few days before:  All eyes would probably be on this pretty lady instead:
I would just be "that girl with the microphone".  That made me feel better. :)

Anyway, I practiced my short speech like I was headlining SNL.  I read it in the car to my friends Missy and Mali when he headed out to dinner the night before, where they raised invisible glasses up at the end.  I recited it over the phone to my sister.  I posted it on my blog.  I had Dan listen to it on the car ride up. I ran through it with my parents.  I was ready as I would ever be!

Until I got violently sick that afternoon.

I have no idea what was in my breakfast burrito or the salad I ate that afternoon, but I felt like death. (My bet is on that damn breakfast burrito.) Don't think it was "just nerves" either.  No way.  It was a pretty miserable three hours, ending when I burst into tears while envisioning me sweetly pronouncing, "To the happy couple!" followed by the pea-soup scene from The Exorcist. 

Somehow, thank goodness, by loading up on medicine and refusing to eat anything but plain bread at dinner, I rallied and made it to Meghan's big day.

Spoiler alert:  the speech went great!  I had an awesome audience, eliciting a few chuckles and a chorus of "awwws" at the end.  I didn't even feel like I was the the center of attention.  No, that honor went to another person...

My dad.

But perhaps I should back up.  My dad is quite the extrovert and managed to make friends with all the groomsman during the rehearsal dinner.  By the end of the reception, everyone was loosening their ties and the music was pumping.  I was finally able to exhale and have a drink, grateful my role was over.  Suddenly, Dan and I heard the entire dance floor chanting, "Go, Steve!  Go, Steve!  Go! Go! Go, Steve!"

There was my Dad busting a move in the middle of the wedding party. :) I guess I didn't get my shy streak from him- ha ha!

Anyway, I'd say this "just do it" challenge went pretty well!  And the wedding was fun and crazy to boot. 

I'll leave you with a progression of the night.  Here is my family (and Bethy's boyfriend far left) at the beginning:


And here is our photobooth pic near the end of the night:
I'll toast to that.




9 comments:

Strand Family said...

Those are great pics! I love the photo booth ones And you don't look like you were sick for hours before. don't ask me how I remember this, but I remember when you got food poisoning the day of our 2-day seminar before student teaching started. You definitely did not have a beaming smile that day!

Josie said...

What a gorgeous bride! And I'm so sorry you were sick -- that's the worst! Way to rally and push through for your friend.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Mrs. 5C said...

For being so ill, you look AMAZING!! :) It looks like a wonderful evening!! Where did you get your dress? It's fabulous!

Christen said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! Sarah, my dress is from Banana Republic. It was from my husband, who actually surprised me with it for my birthday (he saw me checking it out online), and wonders of wonders, it fit- woop woop!

Laura, I TOTALLY remember that two day seminar- ha ha! I have NEVER been that sick in all my life. This time was really weird... I actually am not sure if it was food poisoning because it only lasted a few hours, unlike the seminar where I was sick for three days straight- ughhh! This weekend's thing might have been something just not agreeing with me- I dunno. Just glad I was able to still go to her wedding!

Anonymous said...

Did you all coordinate those outfits? You guys blended very well. The OCD side of me appreciates that highly. I "occasionally" coerce Thomas into a coordinating tie for special occassions to go with my dress.
Glad it went well!
-Missy

Christen said...

Ha ha- nope, we didn't coordinate at all, but now that you mention it, we do all sorta look like we tried to!

Anonymous said...

You showed poise and cool getting through to the toast, and even managing the fun photoshoot, while not feeling well (to say the least). --smc

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe you rallied from that! Good for you!

Also way to give a toast! I could never do that. :)

Looks like it was a lot of fun!

Meghan said...

Great photos! Looks like everyone had a blast! And congrats on a successful speech!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...