Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My house tour! (AKA: All dressed up and no one to show)

I'm a sucker for a house tour!

As you might already know, Dan and I have our house on the market, a miserable exercise in "throw the bulging clothes hamper in the car because we've got a showing in an hour!!" The only thing that makes up for all the tidying and bed making? Getting to tour other people's homes! I love making mental notes on ideas for paint colors, seeing what types of decorating do and don't work, and, well, being nosy...

Lately, though, my own house is kind of like a teenage girl who's been stood up on a Saturday night. You see, our casa is feeling a bit rejected. She's been on the market for five months now, ready to be single and mingle, but even with being dressed to impress with candles and staging, no one has made an offer. Lonely house sigh...

(BTW, anyone thinking our bad luck is because of... well, this nightmare situation I wrote about in November, that's been taken care of! Woo hoo!!)

Since no one else is viewing our house, I thought I'd give you all a tour! Also, I've been reading too many design blogs to get ideas since I'll finally have time for house projects during summer, so I thought I'd share my wish list/ plans for my house too.

Living room:



This is the room I want to play with a bit this summer, perhaps making it a little more modern with a jute rug, a new wall color, bamboo shades, and a funky asymmetrical art display. Or, I may scrap all those ideas and just watch too much Bravo while inhaling popsicles like I usually do...

Our dining room:
I'm purposely not showing you the annoying blood red curtains until the second picture:
Yeah, not sure what I was thinking on that one... They suck the light out of the space and are kind of a dorky length, like tapered jeans. Shudder.

Anyhoo, we didn't do much in this room besides paint and change out the brass chandelier for this one. The photos we hung are of the Bow Bridge in New York, where Dan proposed to me.


Kitchen:

Our kitchen used to have border with a horrendous chrysanthemum print and ugly hardware. Besides updating those two problems and re-painting all the cabinets (holy headache, Batman!), we've kind of slacked in this room. My wish list is endless: appliances, counters, etc, but it's hard to know whether we should invest in anything if we end up leaving in a few years, you know?

Our master bedroom:
Ever seen the show Cribs? Why is it that the celebrities on that show always say something creepy like, "This is where the magic happens" when they show off their master bedroom?!
I promise I won't say that. But, then again, you also won't be treated to a garage full of Hummers and lamborghinis at the end of this tour. Sorry to disappoint! My wish list for this room: another bedside table, longer curtains, more (cheap) art, and a reading nook.

Tiny bathroom:
We realized about a week after we moved in that the tile was actually painted white by the previous owners. It has started to peel in parts and we keep desperately trying to re-paint so that the true Pepto pink color isn't revealed.

NOTE: The previous owners also painted over wallpapered walls, which is a bitch to correct, to say the least! I'm pretty sure there is a dingy place in hell reserved for anyone who paints over wallpaper...

Guest bedroom:
Yep, this is where the infamous smell situation happened. Good times. I like our guest room. We updated it by hanging a chandelier, painting, picking up linens from Target, and making DIY art by framing $2.00 dish towels with fern prints on them.

Office that I fixed a bit this past summer. Apparently, that's the only time of year I get anything done.

Our backyard is such a mess of weeds, that I thought I'd finish my house tour with the only gardening I've done recently, my little window box:

Thanks for touring! My house feels better already! :)

Now, if you want to really waste time, check out a few of my favorite house tours, from blogs, like The Domestic Wannabe and, of course, Young House Love, to ones in my hometown like this one and this wedding cake of a house. If you're a house tour addict like me, you're guaranteed to completely lose track of time as you ogle all this eye candy.

Happy house touring!

8 comments:

Strand Family said...

Oh my gosh! Your house is so beautiful. I would love for my kitchen and bedroom to look like that.

Hattie said...

Thanks for sharing more of your lovely home! I really like your ideas for summer projects, esp. the bamboo shades. I love mine so much!

IONGI FAMILY said...

loved the Tour and ur house is beautiful!!! Laughing at the cribs episode of cribs where the magic happens lol Can not believe its still on the market booo good luck

Josie said...

Your house is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love the guest bedroom. Can't believe no one's put in an offer yet; it's lovely.
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful eye. But even more importantly you've made your house a home. That is magical! --SMC

nealy said...

Hello...thanks for the comment! Your house is beautiful! I love the colors. Nice work!

Ashley Eiban said...

I love your house! Good luck on the market- it's fun when you are looking to purchase a house, but not when you are trying to sell your own!

Unknown said...

sYou have a beautiful home!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...