Saturday, January 16, 2010

Smelly


There's a smell living in my house, and her name is Sasha.

People say bad things come in three's, and now I'm a believer (although these events are more annoying than they are terrible). Here's what's been going on in our household this past week:

1. Dan's bout of pneumonia

2. Leak in laundry room= water everywhere= $350 repair

3. Assaulting smell in guest room,
kind of like a rotten fish
in a port-a-potty
on Planet Revolting

Did I mention that our house is on the market? Yes, it's been an oh-so-fun week here at Casa Christen and Dan.

I have no idea what is causing said smell, even though I'm determined to find out. Sherlock Holmes' hound has nothing on me. I sniffed every inch of the guest room walls, trying to decipher where the smell was worst. Gag. I checked out all the other upstairs rooms. No smell at all. I asked the plumber who came to our house if it was related to our water leak, perhaps sewer backing up. No. I scoured our attic over the guest room with Dan. We both had on oven mitts and carried sticks to poke at boxes, dreading that we would find some kind of decaying mouse somewhere up there. No smell whatsoever in the attic. We lugged everything out of the guest room, swiffered the floor, scrubbed down all surfaces. Still smelly smell smell. Shiiit.

Who you gonna call (when something is probably in the wall)? I'm not sure, but I'm going to try to get someone for reinforcements this weekend. If you've had an issue like this, feel free to give me advice. (If you are someone who is in the market to buy a house, then I'm just kidding! The guest room really smells like honeysuckle and cinnamon and baby powder and your grandma's cookies...)

So one might ask, why did I name the smell "Sasha"? Well, I must have seen some action movie with a character named Sasha in the past because the name conjures up a sneaky little minx of a Russian spy. Sasha comes and goes like a ninja. She's the worst in the mornings, and then non-existent at other times of the days. And I just can't find her. It was either going to be "Sasha" or "Carmen Sandiego". Where in the world is she??

Dan then made the point that Beyonce's alter-ego is named Sasha Fierce. I figured if Beyonce can give her stage persona a moniker, the smell in my guest room can have one too.

Especially since it stinks something fierce.

8 comments:

Hattie said...

I doubt this is what you want to hear, but it sounds like a mouse died in your wall. The smell will go away, but it takes awhile. We had a skunk move in (and spray) under our house a few years ago. There are no words. I can tell you that fabreeze candles are good, as well as charcoal and baking soda. I would get a big bag of charcoal, dump it all in a big bucket and stick it the room, as well as several large bowls of baking soda. I hope things get better soon, I feel your pain!

Strand Family said...

Your guest room is lovely looking! I'm very sorry about the smell. I hope you find the cause soon. Maybe scheule a pest inspector at the time the smell is the worst? Chris's grandma had a raccoon die in her chimney. They figured it out from the group of maggots that showed up! Ugh!

Heidi said...

Oh my--we definitely had this happen to us in our last house (ironically also on the market!!!) We also had contractors working on something else and I begged them to cut into the wall and get out whatever died in there. We discovered the smell was coming mostly through the outlet, so we keep things plugged in. With the house showing at any given point in the day we kept bowls of baking soda under the bed and in other hidden places to help with the smell. It will get better and it will go away!! Baking soda will absorb the smell whereas candles and air fresheners will just mask it we quickly discovered. Good luck-do tell about your new digs!!

Anonymous said...

Christen, I'm so sorry about the recent problems with the leak and the smell. We had a smell once and it was a dead rat under the insulation. It sounds very infuriating. Also, totally understand about the sick men. That's why I asked how you were doing last week. Love, Mom

Aline said...

hahahahaha i am so sorry to laugh, but you crack me up. i can't wait to find out the source of all things stinky! ...or maybe not

Missy said...

Hey,
Talked to the hubs and he said it was most likely that something died in the wall. He said there's not really much to do except wait for it to pass and find some stuff to mask it.
Your guest room is adorable though! I haven't seen it with all the lights and pillows and whatnot....very cute!

Josie said...

I'm also a huge list-maker! Honestly, I make lists of lists that I have to make. I'm so sorry about the smell, but I'm sure you'll figure it all out soon. Your guest room is lovely -- I love the chandelier, and all the pillows look so cozy!
Hope to hear from you soon :)
http://www.winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

micah said...

Oh my, I hope you find the source of the smell! Maybe stock up on Febreze and candles while your house is on the market?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...