Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolution list

Five

Four

Three

Two

One..

Image from here.
Happy (Belated) New Year!
Whoop! Whoop!


Everyone knows that New Year's is "amateur night", so Dan and I decided to stay away from the dangerous roads and sleazy clubs. Instead, we rang in the new year with champagne, hor d'oeuvres, and board games with a group of friends. In my mind, life doesn't get much better than a round of Taboo with some of my favorite people:











I know this post about 2010 is coming a bit late, but I couldn't decide on my list of resolutions. For someone who has a blog called "La Vida Lista", it may surprise some to learn that I kind of hate writing a long list of New Year's resolutions. This is mostly due to me always having a zillion things I want to improve on...

Cue the early 90's rap: "I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller..."

I'm constantly wishing I was more patient with my students, would read the classics, would learn to play tennis, would tone my abs, would stop being a slob, would stop stressing out, would cook for Dan like a good little wifey, would stay in contact with people better, would cue into politics more, would laugh more often, would get more sleep, and would stop "shame eating" leftover doughnuts in the staff room.

(In case you are curious, "shame eating" is when you are doing one or more of the following: 1. Standing up while eating 2. Inhaling fattening food at super sonic speed to avoid being seen eating said deliciousness by other people 3. Starting with "just a sliver" and ending with "holy shhiiitt...")


Yes, I definitely want to tweak many areas, but I'm still not a fan of feeling like January has to be the starting point for my huge overhaul. I'm also very lazy after two weeks of sleeping in and eating Christmas cookies, so I'm not in the mood for time-consuming changes.

Instead, I try to make a small, fun resolution. Two years ago, I resolved to wear more skirts and dresses. (I was wearing the same pair of comfy black pants so often I started to resemble the pianist at Nordstrom's.) Last year, I resolved to take more photos and post them on my blog. Done and done.

This year? I decided to make a small list of feasible, fun resolutions:

1. Buy a new house.
2. Decorate said house with skill of Martha Stewart, Young House Love, and Jonathon Adler
3. Obtain Master's degree. Then, my doctorate. Then, post-doctorate fellowship.
4. Speak fluent Italian before trip in April
5. Be greener- you know, recycle even more, compost, and build a windmill to generate clean energy for house (see number 1)
6. Seduce Dan twice daily, after first cooking him gourmet, three-course dinner
7. Coin a trendy catch-phrase (Paris Hilton's was "That's hot...", Michael Scott eternalized, "That's what she said", Mine will be something teacher-related and having to do with the grading scale, perhaps?)
8. Invent something superior to the Snuggie

Or, maybe I'll just use cloth bags when grocery shopping. At least it's a step in the right direction for number 5.

I'm still deciding.

6 comments:

Christen said...

Missy, if you have any pics of Thomas from NYE, will you e-mail them to me? For some reason, he didn't make it into any of my pics and I wanted to put have one of him on this post too :)

Nat said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I to have a love a lists, haha I could do a whole post on how much I love lists!
Your house is super cute, and you sound like you keep it like mine, haha!

Hattie said...

Good luck! I think the only one of those I could keep up with is the reusable bags - only because I already do that! I do hope you find a wonderful new house. Good luck with the hunt.

Strand Family said...

I'm with you on the small resolution. I think I treat every night like it is new year's eve. "Tomorrow I will definitely start to do ___ and then ___." Of course it goes awry the moment I hit snooze.

Aline said...

hahaha you crack me up!

happy new year!

Courtney D said...

Nothing like keeping you're goals small and manageable!! You are too much fun! Happy New Year- and yea, good luck! *wink!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...