Sunday, May 2, 2010

Just do it #10: See a Broadway musical


Full disclosure time:

* I did not go to New York to see Wicked.

* I wrote this blog post about two months ago and never got around to hitting "publish".


Lazy ass or perfectionist? The former.


* I have a green mud mask on right now that I picked up at Target as I'm about to hit publish, looking eerily like the Wicked Witch. (No, I did not plan this way weird coincidence; my skin just needed a little TLC after being sweaty at the river all day.)

Waaay more info than you all needed! Anyhoo, here's my way overdue post:

One of the items on the list I started this blog with was "See a Broadway musical". While I may not be able to officially cross that off seeing that I stayed in good 'ole River City, I got pretty damn close by seeing Wicked, the off-Broadway show about the witches of Oz, with my mom. I know some purists will argue that the Broadway version must somehow be fancier, but honestly I couldn't see how it could have been any better. I loved ever single second, from the flying monkeys, to the wicked witch levitating, to a Vegas-y, puttin' on the glitz Emerald City.


Wow. Just... wow.

It was fun how Wicked added some complexity to the back story of The Wizard of Oz. It went from "Only bad witches are ugly!" to "It's not easy being green!" I've always loved the good vs. evil struggle in the original film because it's so charming in its simplicity. It was even more fun, though, rooting for this green villain, whose cackle and "I'll get you, my pretty!" used to have me shaking in my (Warning: Child of the 80's reference) jellies.

Be honest... who out there wasn't scared as a kid during that scene when Mrs. Gulch on her bike morphs to the witch on her broom, the shrieking violin soundtrack swelling?? Even Dan confessed he once made his mom fast forward...

But...in Wicked, it turns out the Wicked Witch was a caring, misunderstood girl with a skin affliction. I really felt for her! And it made me think about all the other people I've probably misjudged over the years. Maybe it's time I rewrite some of my own judgements...

1. My neighbor, who left this truly disturbing demented baby Halloween decoration on his fence until the first week of December. Seriously, this purple monster chilled me every time I got out of my car.
Perhaps he wasn't trying to be creepy beyond belief. Perhaps he was simply trying to infuse our neighborhood with a little edgy decor!


2. My gym teacher in fifth grade, who told me my arm muscles were like "marshmallows" after I lost a round of tug of war against another student.
Emotional sadist? Hmm... perhaps he wasn't trying to further grind salt in my wound! He was simply trying to inspire a student to work out her arm muscles for a Rocky-style comeback!

Errr, or not...


But who am I to judge anyway? It's 11:00 and I'm finishing a two month old post with a mud mask on. It's not easy being green.

Verdict on Just do it #10: Hmm...not done yet, but I'll give myself half credit!
If you get a chance to see Wicked, though, definitely check it out!

(Okay, picture credit time: Wicked poster from here. Two wicked witches from here. Gym teacher from here.)

3 comments:

Josie said...

These are my favorite posts of yours. I also saw "Wicked" off-Broadway and fell in love with the story -- I've always been a huge fan of the movie. And as for Speidi, you were kinder about them than I could ever be. Props.
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You are "wicked" funny! --SMC

Hattie said...

I'm green with envy! My sister also went to see the show when it was in town and LOVED it. If it comes around again next year I'll have to beg my husband to take me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...