Monday, October 5, 2009

The "playing hooky" list

I had no real excuse to skip my writing class tonight. If I had been a good little student, I would have inhaled a Lean Cuisine for dinner, rushed through VCU traffic, and sat through two and a half hours of listening to everyone's ridiculously amazing stories (see last blog entry), praying that time would run out before anyone had a chance to workshop my essay.

But I just didn't feel like it.

* I was tired.
* I was hungry.
* I had received seven mass e-mails from other class participants today, having rather pretentious debates about what makes a story worthwhile to read.
* During one such e-mail, the teacher talked about how Harry Potter (as well as any fantasy, romance, or mystery books) "should have no claim on the time of thoughtful adults" because they are full of "simple words for simple minds". Judge, much?!
* Those discussions made me worry about my own story NOT being worthwhile to read.
and...
* I wanted to actually eat the enchiladas Dan made for dinner!
* I wanted to actually take the time to write, rather than talk about writing.
* I wanted to catch up with friends.
* I wanted to go for a run.
* I wanted to blog!
* I wanted to bake.
* I wanted to decorate my house with the Halloween decorations I bought this weekend.
* I wanted to surf Banana Republic for cute tops.
* I just didn't wanna go!
* I wanted some cheese with my "whine". (Bad, cliched pun...)
* I wanted some wine with my "whine"!

Don't even say it! I know I'm bad for skipping! How will I ever make up for not following this writing version of a "just do it" challenge? By writing several blog entries this week!

I'm not giving up on this writing challenge. One thing I have learned from this (suck-my-energy-and-confidence-away-slowly) class is that ideas breed other ideas. The teacher told us to write and be creative in every way possible because that will in turn make us more creative and better writers.

So feel free to check in often during the next week because I'm going to try to write as much as I can.

Unless I just don't wanna.

(Picture of fellow slacker Ferris Bueller from here)

4 comments:

Strand Family said...

I hope you got to do some of those things you wanted to do! Remember you are doing the writing class for yourself. Don't worry about all those people and their "what makes good writing" arguments. I heard a good kind of cliche quote this week: "you can't hit a home run if you don't step up to the plate" So see, you are ahead of all the people like me who aren't even stepping up to the plate!

Aline said...

well that sounds worth it!

Christen said...

Thanks, Laura! I'm going to go to the last two meetings just to finish it up :)

Anonymous said...

You don't need others to tell you that you are a creative, amazing writer (and blogger)! Glad you skipped a session to show your independence. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...