Wednesday, October 3, 2012

This is Halloween!

Errr... 28 days early!

My sister is as Halloween-crazy as I am and wanted to see my decor, so I'm posting this early.  She sent me one of those adorable, pop-up Halloween cards the other day with this message:



 No argument from me!  Halloween can be a whole season!  It's a weird holiday to be into, but kinda nice that she shares the commitment!
(Last year's Halloween:  Bethy as Black Swan and me as the house from the movie Up)

 Anyway, if let's get this season started off right!  If you've read this blog from year to year, you know I don't usually fuss with mantle arrangements, but every October I allow my cheesy Martha flag to fly and indulge in some arranging.

This year, I stuck with black and white theme again and went to Pinterest for inspiration:


via here

and this:

via here

I knew I wanted to go with black and white and have some sort of banner like the two spooky above mantles.  Here's what I came up with:


I know the Halloween tree is massive, but I kind of love the spooky vibe!  The banner and pillow are the only new objects (both from Target).


I probably should take some night pictures since I happened to snap these on a sunny morning and forgot that my camera's exposure setting was up pretty high, making this look downright cheery!  Imagine it darker with the candles in the fireplace emiting the only light...




On the left, I plunked down the magnifying glass (mad scientist vibe), my halloween tree with the candy boxes I bought for my murder mystery party a few years back, and a ceramic pumpkin:

I filled the apothecary jar with white shredded paper from a gift bag and filled it with the plastic spiders, so they have their own little nest now. 

On the right:  the ceramic deer antler, some plumes, a plastic plate from Target, and some votive holders.  I stuffed some black napkins in the vase with the plumes to make them a little taller:


I kind of feel like the banner makes the whole thing:

As for the rest, I've believe you met my mice friends before...




If I was more rock and roll, I'd keep this pillow up year round :)


In case you're as Halloween crazy as me, here are my previous year themes:

2011 was all about the spiders:
Post is here

And in 2010 I framed pictures from horror movies and made a chalkboard pumpkin:


Post is here

See part two of my Halloween decor here!

Anyone else decorating for Halloween??

6 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, my gosh, I love all of this! That seriously looks like a Martha Stewart mantel! I need you to come decorate my house. :)

Josie said...

Lady, you are the master of making Halloween decorations look chic rather than dorky. I LOVE that pillow!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Gorgeous! I usually do a fall mantel rather than a Halloween mantel... but you've got me inspired for next year! Love the black + white!

Christen said...

Thanks for the Halloween love, guys!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i just love all your fall decor- the black and white is classic and fabulous!

Unknown said...

Great job - it looks very classy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...