Friday, January 7, 2011

The La Vida Lista Encyclopedia

Remember when I wrote about The Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life?

Basically, it's about one everyday woman's life.

Simple joys * daily annoyances * hilariously dead-on observations about mundane events

That's it.

Sure beats the hell out of the dusty Brittanicas in our school library...

Anyhoo, I recently went on one of my favorite blogs Shannanigans, who, after being inspired by this book, invited bloggers to link up with their own version of a "me" encyclopedia. Cute idea! That's 26 letters worth of likes, info, observations of an ordinary life. Not sure if I'll last that long, but I at least have a few ideas for the first few letters of the alphabet. It was an idea for 26 lists, people! How could I say no?

I give you... Volume A


ANNOYING, THINGS THAT ARE

* Only one glove... or sock.
* e-mails written in ALL CAPS (simulating SCREAMING!)
* Facebook's quizzes ("What type of animal are you??)
* "Just to play devil's advocate..."
* "No offense, but..."
* Essays that begin with, "According to Webster's Dictionary..."
* Compulsive list making

AUTUMN

Ummmm... not to beat a dead horse since I've mentioned this in every post about Halloween decorations, and Halloween costumes, and fall wine tasting, and pumpkin food, and general October lists, but I love autumn. It's my favorite season. And that's saying something given the fact that I'm off all summer...
See also: Any post written during October

THE AVETT BROTHERS




The Avett Brothers, a funk band rock band, have that undeniable "you-are-a-cooler-person-for-listening-to us"quotient. They're moody. They have smart lyrics. They're soulful. And Dan and I felt like we "discovered" an indie band when we first heard them (even though that's total bullsh*t since they are apparently immensely popular). Anyhoo, I hit the play button at least twice whenever I listen to "I and love and you". I want to surprise Dan by taking him to a concert if they are playing nearby anytime soon.
See Also: nerdy couple trying to be artsy

AVOCADOS

This was mentioned on Shannanigans encyclopedia, and I just had to concur. I just found this unbelievable recipe for tortilla soup, which I made the other night and loved. Add chunks of creamy avacado! You won't regret it.

* Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 T oil
½ onion, minced
1/3 green pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced

1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
3 cans chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can sweet corn OR 1 ear of corn, cut from cob
1 T Cumin
1 t Chili powder
Salt, to taste
Dash of hot sauce, optional

Toppings:
Tortilla chips (white or blue corn) Chopped avocado Sour cream
Shredded cheese Cilantro

Directions:
Combine oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a saucepan until tender. Add remaining ingredients (except toppings) and bring to a slight boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve hot and top with tortillas, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
This post was brought to you by the letter "A".
"B" is for "bad movies that are actually good", "Bethany", "blogging", and "babies on the brain".
Coming soon!

5 comments:

Hattie said...

Super fun idea! We didn't even buy a print encyclopedia for my library because they become outdated in a year - or less! But, I used to love flipping through them as a kid because of all the cool, random stuff I'd find. Your post reminded me of that because now I have a new band to check out - thanks!

Courtney D said...

Ohhhhhhh- Can't wait for the "B" entry! Don't think I missed that little teaser at the end. :)

Christen said...

Ha ha- sorry, didn't mean to sound like a teaser! Just have babies on the brain... maybe I'll have some exciting news by the time I get to letter P, though?

Here's to hoping!

Josie said...

This is so fun, Christen! You know how I love your lists -- especially the Annoying, Things That Are one... We all have our pet peeves and these sound brutal!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Shannon said...

Hey thanks for playing Christen! I LOVE things that are annoying...my list would be a mile long :) And I love the preview for B too...cant wait to see it next week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...