Monday, October 29, 2012

Too old for Halloween

Feel free to judge.  We are comfortably boring teachers in our thirties, and we ended up club clubbin' this past Saturday.  

 At a Hard Rock Cafe. 

In a way, I judge myself. :)

Yes, I've mentioned before that Dan and I feel way too old for the club scene, but in our defense...

No one was having a Halloween party this year. 
and
I really wanted to dress up.

I'm probably not helping my case, am I?  Anyway, after much discussion, we decided to go out with my sister, since she's still young and hip enough to bust up in the club.  Just call us thirty-something tag alongs!

Yes, I did have a moment where I was scared of a run-in with the bouncer outside like in the movie Knocked Up.  You know the scene I'm talking about where Katherine Heigl and her sister try to get in a club?  I could just see the bouncer looking at Dan and me and saying, "You two are old. Everyone else is in their twenties, so you can't come in. Can't have two old asses running around in here!"

Luckily, they did let our old asses in.  Anyway, before I share our get-up from this year, I thought I'd give you all a peak a few past Halloweens to show my love of costumes, thus justifying our choice to go club clubbin' at a place known for Elvis memorabilia and selling over-priced hamburgers...

Three years ago, we were pick-up lines.  Want to guess which ones??


Notice the sign I'm wearing on my hip:

 Did you get them?  If not, you haven't spent much time in aforementioned skeezy clubs.  You are so classy!

Dan: "There's a party in my pants... and you're invited!" 

Me: "Did it hurt... when you fell from heaven??"

Then, we were lazy one year and dressed as an eighties bride and groom:

We didn't want to spend much money that year, so we pulled out his t-shirt tuxedo and worked with what we had.


  
Last year, you might remember Dan was Mr. Frederickson from the movie Up, and I was the house. 



We won first place at a small party... and celebrated like Emmy winners.

This year, we decided to be iconic snack super stars. 

Hello, from Mr. and Mrs. Peanut!

I bought the accessories at Walmart and cut out the letters for the hats.  I cut out the peanuts from foam and pinned them on the front and back.  It was a comfortable costume, so Dan was happy.  We got a great reaction on the metro in DC and the rest of the night!




My sister and her boyfriend were inspired by Monty Python; notice that she's the serf with the coconuts to give sound effects to his gallop.  They ended up winning first place (a Carribean cruise!) at a contest later that night!!

Other note-worthy ones that night?  Bethy's friend dressed as the lamp from A Christmas Story:

Wayne and Garth:

My favorites are always the clever ones.  This one guy dressed in a suit with paint samples all over him.  I couldn't figure it out.  Sample suit??  I looked closer and saw all the names of the paint colors:  charcoal, dust bunny, dove, stone wall...  Finally giving up, I asked him what he was.

His answer?  "Fifty shades of gray." 
Wish I had snapped a picture!

Despite my massive hangover the next day (never happened to me in college... gah), the night was cheesy and fun, so it all worked out!  Bethany has a full on obsession with Halloween that makes my love for the holiday pale in comparison, so she's always fun to be around.  I have to share her gift to me, just because she likes to pass on Halloween love, and she knows I love pumpkin anything:


Yep, she gave me a pumpkin-themed gift (pumpkin candy, socks, pumpkin popcorn, straws, and candle).  I loved it!  But who's surprised?  It was the ultimate indulgence in my inner child.  I've decided I'll never be too old for Halloween.

I'm just too old for the club.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics. And in my wise, ancient opinion, you're not too old for either Halloween or clubbing. --SMC

Laura said...

I love seeing all of your costumes! So fun! And you guys look great as the Peanuts! What a cute idea!

Josie said...

You guys are SO cute. I love this!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Nat said...

Love your costumes!! You're never too old for a club!!

Ashleigh @ Made in Morningside said...

This looks like so much fun. Your costumes are amazing!! And I love the 50 shades of grey idea, my fiance hates dressing up so that would be a good minimal effort but effective one for him.
xox

Unknown said...

Your costumes are so creative- awesome!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...