Sunday, October 31, 2010

The October List

I'm in a cranky mood, even though there's no real reason to be. Didn't sleep well last night. I'm getting sick. Had another 11 hour day. Glee isn't on tv tonight. Just in a general terrible, horrible, no good very bad mood. Maybe I should move to Australia?

By the way, I like you if you just got my children's book reference. :)

Please forgive me for the millionth post about fall/Halloween, but I need some endorphins.

Instead of any more whining, I give you...

The October List!

Yep, it's November, but I thought I'd update my pictures on a few things from October. It just might be one of my favorite month of the year. And that's saying something seeing that I get 9+ weeks off during the summer to be a complete sloth and hang with Dan.

Why do I love it? Let me count the ways...


1. Wine tasting with friends at Barboursville

Perfect weather + a bottle of wine + making fun of wine descriptions= yes, please.

2. My friend Mali's themed-Halloween outfit

Mali teaches first grade, so she dons applique sweaters and themed outfits (a la Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus) from time to time just to be random and to entertain her students and because she's hilarious! She treated us to her Halloween vest and striped tights for my horror movie night. Love her! :)


3. Themed food

What did I cook for the six adults who hung out to watch Zombieland and drink pumpkin ale?

Um... food that would have been suitable for a kids' Halloween party.

But look how cute these chocolate spiders turned out!
And I also made this pumpkins in a field butterscotch candy (the below picture is from this website since my pic turned out kinda blurry. That's also where I got the recipe).


I also tried this recipe for pumpkin sammies for happy hour with people from school, which might be the best pumpkin dessert I've ever made. And if you read my blog, you know I've made a pumpkin recipe once or twice before...

Pure cream cheese icing? Homemade cookies?

Holy. hell. so. good.
(photo from here because I forgot to take one of mine)

4. Cheap costumes

Last year, we were pick-up-lines. This year, we re-used our 80's costumes to be a trashy bride and groom. Cost? $12 mullet. Mullets bring any costume to the next level, don't they? My hair, however, despite a liberal spraying of Aqua Net, didn't hold up by the end of the night...

Still it was fun to go out in Old Town Alexandria! Much better than the Richmond club scene last year! And the party didn't stop there because the next night, we went to...

4. My sister's Halloween dinner

My sister had a dinner on the 31st, and let me tell you, her and her boyfriend left no detail un-spookified...

Bats on the walls:

They put red light bulbs in all the lamps for moody atmosphere:Even the bathroom got decorated:

She made "mad scientist" cocktails that tasted like pure candy (complete with gummy worm garnishes and novelty ice in the shape of bones.)
I think her friend Miranda liked it...

She hollowed out pumpkin bowls for a pumpkin soup she made:

She baked tombstone cornbread to go with their pot of chili:
And created spiderweb guacamole to go with chips:



I guess a penchant for themed food runs in the family...Kudos to our hosts!
Off to eat leftover pumpkin cookies and try to shake off my funk!



5 comments:

The Bucket Project said...

Wow that looks like an amazing Halloween party! It all looks great. Esp the guacamole...that's really paying attention to detail.

If you have a second please stop by the bucket project and let us know one thing you want to do before you kick the bucket. We'd greatly appreciate it!

Jessi @ http://bucketproject.blogspot.com

Josie said...

Oh, it looks like you've had such a fun October! Can I just say that Halloween-themed food is the best? From Halloween Oreos to those pudding dirt cups with gummy worms, I will actually eat anything even vaguely Halloween-esque. Wine-tasting looks like a blast and you look so cute in your Halloween costume, dear!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Hattie said...

yum! All that themed food is so fun! Those pumpkin whoopie pies look awesome.

Strand Family said...

Wow! That's so much fun! I love all the Halloween inspired food.

Anonymous said...

Christen, So glad I got to see you costumes. It was nice to also see pictures of Bethany's party. Had a great weekend with you all. Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...