Saturday, September 12, 2009

Just do it # 5: Learn to speak survival Italian

I wanted to learn thirty phrases of survival Italian because:

1. I have the bladder of a five year old and can definitely see myself needing to ask "Dov'e la toilette???" in a panic.

2. I think Italian is the sexiest language ever. Even "Where is the bathroom?" sounds better when it's in Italian (see #1).

3. My brain is becoming mushy from constantly surfing the most insipid websites. For instance, I spent a half hour tonight checking out an amateurish soap opera that was filmed in an Ikea. (Haven't seen Ikea Heights yet? Check it out for a laugh!) Learning even a little bit of a language will be a strenuous and much-needed mental workout.

4. I want to learn a few naughty phrases to whisper to Dan (see #2). Voglio il tuo corpo...


Dan and I board a plane for Rome in approximately 28 weeks, six days, two hours, and forty minutes. Not that I'm counting down already or anything! To start to plan our trip, we went to Tuscan Brio Grille, a chain restaurant near the local mall, and ordered several $3.00 Tuscan-themed appetizers and drinks during their happy hour special. We then set up camp reading our Rick Steve's travel book and practicing our Italian with flashcards. Before anyone says anything, I realize the irony of us going to a chain restaurant rather than one of the many authentic Italian hole-in-the-wall joints in town. We went to Brio for the cheap appetizers, but kept joking about the yuppie atmosphere. Dan wittily remarked at one point, "These marble tables must date all the way back to 2007."

What the restaurant lacked in authenticity, it made up with in cheap, yummy food that fit our Italian theme. We were able to dine on beef carpaccio, braised meatballs with marscarpone polenta, "Italian" burgers, two orders of roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella bruschetta, and wash it all down with a little vino for under twenty bucks. I'm not sure what made the Brio burger "Italian", but it was still delicious.


It was so much fun to dream, even if our trip is still so far off. We debated Sienna vs. Assisi, planned one stay in a nice hotel, and read the mouth-watering restaurant descriptions as we noshed on our chain restaurant food. To be honest, with all the gorging and planning, we certainly didn't learn all thirty phrases over dinner. At least I've made the notecards so I can practice over the next few months. After all, I've still got time.

28 weeks, six days, two hours, and forty minutes, to be exact.

Verdict of "Just do it #5": Mi dispiace, but this challenge is still in progress. I'll update again in April! I'll also update on fun trip details once we keep planning.
***
For my next "Just do it Challenge #6", I'm going to take a six-week, creative writing class. This has been on my to do list for years now. The class starts Monday, and if I come up with anything decent, I may even share a bit of my writing here. I've got to say that I'm a bit nervous and hope all the other participants aren't the next Mark Twains and Ernest Hemingways...

9 comments:

LWLH said...

I wish I knew how to speak another language. :)

Ali said...

I think it was a smart move to eat where you did. Recession proof dinner, anyone?

Wow, Italy. So exciting!

Hattie said...

It's good to know that Brio has such good happy hour deals! It sounds like it would be worth crossing the river for some of those yummy treats, even if it means I'll be tempted by the closeness of anthro! Can't wait to hear more about your trip plans, it sounds like it's going to be an amazing adventure.

Strand Family said...

It is good you are trying out the chain restaurant Italian food. You'll be able to see that real Italian food is 5 million times better! I remembered the name of the pizza place. It is called Il Forno in Campo di Fiore in Rome. It is AMAZING! You can't even compare american pizza to it as it is just a different type of food. Plus, it was only 3 euros to grab a slice and then walk around the really lively square. Great people watching! One of our best dinners in Rome and the cheapest.
We learned people use the word "prego" for everything! I thought it was your welcome, but it seems like it means sure, cool, no problem, great seeing you,...pretty much any generic affirmative statement you can use prego. Yes, it is pronounced like the spaghetti sauce.

Aline said...

it is so awesome that you guys are doing this...I love it!

Christi said...

thanks for coming by my blog!! now off to explore yours!

Carlito86 said...

Aw, I'd love to go, I've wanted to go ever since I read I Love Capri by Belinda .... ahhh I've forgotten her surname! It's a good book though!

Anonymous said...

I'd be counting the weeks, days and hours too if I were going back to Italy! I can feel your excitement. SMC

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

This is one of the greatest things to partake in as a couple ... I admire it!! I found your blog through Ali and now following ya!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...