Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lately...

 I've been...

Decorating this:   Last year, my mantle looked like this for Halloween:



It was all dark and Tim Burton-esque.  Read more here and here

This year, I didn't want to fuss with dragging down all the decorations because it takes forever to tape up the mice and ravens.  

I also wanted something more neutral so that if the baby comes early and I'm so distracted/ exhausted/ forgetful that I somehow leave it up until December, it isn't driving me crazy.  So here's the very toned down, sorta Halloweeny but could work until Thanksgiving mantle this year:


I just decorated a tiny pumpkin in honor of our baby boy by hot gluing on some eyes and a paci, threw down some Spanish moss, put up some candles, and bought two gourd jack o' lanterns:

Dan loved the pumpkin baby.  Wonder why...


It looks a little more spooky at night:



One other room got a tiny bit of Halloween in it too:



I also bought big letters in the baby's initials that I want to paint in candy corn colors, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  :)  School has been insane, and we're trying to get out with friends/ family as much as we can right now.

I've also been...

Baking this:   Pumpkin Poke Cake

via here

Go to the above link for the recipe.  You will hate yourself afterwards for eating half of the pan, but screw it... it's delicious and you can justify that you are just treating yourself because it is seasonal.

It's easy too:  mix a can of pumpkin (actual pumpkin, not pie mix) and a box of spice cake mix.  




Bake.  Poke holes in top.  Drench in sweetened condensed milk.  Put in fridge for a while so it can soak.

Cover in cool whip, caramel topping, and toffee bites.  Eat until you feel sick.  :)

Laughing at this:  Not seasonal related, but it made Dan and I chuckle.  We're two teachers, so we're always interested by how the other half lives.   Anyway, my OBGYN is married to an anesthesiologist, so they pretty much have "one percent" type money and every so often she makes a comment about the neighborhood she lives in... an area of town with  million dollar homes.  She's not bragging or gloating or talking about her wine cellar or anything;  it just has come up before.  Color us a wee bit jealous when we go back to our 1400 square foot house.  :)

Anyway, the other day I went to see my doctor for a check-up.  She said some comment like, "Well, be sure you hold that baby in because I won't be around next week."

Dan: "Oh, are you getting away on a little vacation?"

Doc Moneybags:  "Yeah!  I'm just going to put the top down on my Porsche and let the wind run through my hair and just go wherever it takes me!"

Later...

Dan to me:  "Man... I should have responded, 'I'm going to hop in my 2001 piece of shit Honda Civic and do the same thing!'"

Well, Dan and I went back in for my 37 weeks check-up, and when she turned around to fill out paperwork, Dan nudged me sharply with his elbow.  I looked carefully at her and guess what my OB was wearing around her neck??







This woman really likes her Porsche!   It begs the question though...

when will they come out with a lanyard that boasts Dan's 2001 Honda Civic?



5 comments:

Erika said...

Your decorations are amazing!! I am so impressed! Your last year's ones...creepy but not super cheesy...I'm impressed!! Also, your dr??! Hilarious. Must be rough.

Aubrey said...

Where did you get those guourd jackolanterns? I love them!! And that porsche/doctor story is so funny!

Christen said...

Glad you all appreciate the porsche story- ha ha! The goard jack o' lanterns are from JoAnn's fabric, of all places. I ended up in there for something else and couldn't resist!

Anonymous said...

This one had me laughing out loud. Your doc is a wee bit over the top (with the top down). Regarding the decorations, you have an amazing eye for beauty.
-SMC

Lyndsey said...

Oh I love the baby pumpkin so cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...