Tuesday, January 22, 2013

January's Score

There's a free local newspaper that has a column called "The Score".  It ranks happenings in Richmond and awards and subtracts points, such as -3 pts. for a great restaurant closing or giving +2 pts. for a Richmond musician making it on American Idol.  Then, they tally up the score for the week.

  It's completely arbitrary, but I thought I'd borrow it for my January since the infamous party.  It has had its ups and downs:

* Wistfulness at friend's baby shower (only non-mother there again)         - 3 pts.

* Getting to hug my friend, eat cake (no Stiffler to ruin it this time),
 and being excited about her baby coming          + 2 pts.

* Winning the "guess the exact amount of string 
it would take to wrap around the mother's waist" game        +1 pt.

* The prize for the game:  A tube of body glitter (?)   + 1 pt. because it was random and funny.  
I can't think of a time I would wear body glitter- ha ha!

* Dealing with insurance about fertility testing  - 2 pts.

Finally scheduling my HSG for next week      -10 pts.

I believe I already talked about why that score would be low here.

* My doctor prescribing a Valium for said HSG!    + 5 pts.

* Grading 163 papers in two weeks AND college class started - 8 pts.

* SNOW DAY LAST FRIDAY WITH DAN!  + 10 pts.  

* Fun game night with a new couple  + 10 pts.

* The Bachelor started/ Dan and I ridiculing it endlessly  +2 pts.

* Addicted to a new book: Wild by Cheryl Strayed  + 2 pts.

* We actually tried a new date for January a la our half ass resolution! + 10 pts.

The score so far:  20

Hmmm... not bad, actually!

Yes, that's a random thing to say.  Who can say what a good score is?

I thought I'd share the last item on "the score".  Dan and I decided to do a tapas and art museum date (we had a Christmas gift card burning a hole in our pocket), just to mix things up.  I think it counts as a new date idea for 2013.



Me with some kind of overly sweet, pear drink... it was delicious!



We went fancy with a cheese plate.  I'd never actually had one before.  Ours came with fruit, homemade chips, cheese, and lavender honey.




 There was a new exhibit by artist Dale Chihuly, who is famous for his amazing glass works.  We'd breezed through it during winter break, but this time we could linger throughout:


I mean... can we talk?  How incredible was this?





Dan loved the glass ceiling, that made you feel underwater:


I'll just share the last two pieces (not by Chihuly) that we checked out.  This tongue-in-cheek modern portrait:

Lastly, there was one photographer who spent three years growing his hair, changing his look repeatedly, and taking pictures.  See the names of a few of the photos below:

Now, look at his photos.  It's the SAME man in each.  My favorite one is the Beehive, the second one, because it looks exactly like a 60's yearbook photo for a chick.

If you keep looking, you'll see he grew facial hair, dyed his hair, tried cornrows... basically transformed himself repeatedly in the name of art.


Same dude!  I just can't get over it!

So that was date #1.  I don't think we'll do too many new ones, but I will post any that we do try!

5 comments:

Erika said...

Oh my gosh-- LOVE the arbitrary 'scoring'!!! Best idea EVER! Please don't be surprised if I steal this idea in the near future- I'll be sure to credit the source! Also...I pretty much hate art museums, but this one looks pretty awesome. Especially that man-taking-self-portraits exhibit-- amazing!!

Aubrey said...

Baby showers... sigh... They are hard! But I'm glad you were able I give yourself some plus points for it (not so sure I'd be able to!)!

Good luck with your HSG... Will be thinking of you!

You guys look so cute on your fun date!! I love tapas restaurants!

Lyndsey said...

I love that score idea! Wow, I really don't know how to describe the glass art it all looks so amazing.

Josie said...

Your date looks like such a blast! And hooray for snow daysssss.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Anonymous said...

Will be thinking of you. Hope the HSG goes well. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...