Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Anti-Resolution

It’s the middle of January. Do you know where your resolution is?

I just found mine.

Not really on top of things, but I don't really care.  Even though I love a list, winter never feels like the time for making a serious resolution.

Because I’ve always been either a teacher or student, the beginning of the year to me is always in September. That’s the time when I vow to do more crunches or go to sleep earlier or keep our laundry folded, and inevitably cave by November. Because of the never-ending lists to better myself in the fall, I’ve always let myself off the hook in January. Anyone who has kept up with my blog knows that January is my time for slacker resolutions that are fun.

Like in 2010, I resolved to take more photos. My blog suddenly became much more colorful.

In 2011, it was to try twelve new restaurants. Spoiler alert: We nailed it!

In 2012, we resolved to try twelve new things, which was too vague and I promptly forgot it come March. Looking back now, I guess we did try twelve new things by accident, but really if we hadn’t that would be kind of sad. Try twelve new things in an entire year?? Not much of a challenge.

Anyway, for posterity’s sake, we tried a new…

* Activity: Trivia night

* Language: dirty French

* Valentine gift: language of love

* Food: escargot

* Country: France

* Paint color: Toasted Almond

* Double date idea: kayaking

* Anniversary trip: Southern hotel and caves

* Concert: Avett Brothers concert

* Richmond event: Folk Festival

* Food craze: Tried the “Tako” truck

* New Year’s Tradition: black-eyed peas

The latter one is too funny not to share. After NYE’s dinner and fireworks with friends in NOVA, Dan and I did our normal traditions: ate a big breakfast, bought a lottery ticket, and started registering for the dream home on HGTV. I heard about the southern tradition of eating a spoonful of black-eyed peas for luck and goaded Dan into it. We could use all the luck we can get.

Dan: Please don’t make me eat this. I’m going to barf.

Me: C’mon… one spoonful! Then, you can eat the enormous Reese’s peanut butter cup my sister bought you for Christmas.  Just eat one spoonful for luck!

Dan: Ughhh…. So gross!

Me: Actually, it says on my iPhone that we are supposed to eat 365 beans to represent the entire year.

Dan: Hell. No.

This is a terrible picture of him eating his, but so funny.


Dan’s caught on to the idea of having a fun resolution each year, and he and I were brainstorming the other day.

He suggested, “How about ‘visit a new American city’?” I'm all about this one. I've got three TripAdvisor windows open as I type right now.

Then, he said, “How about twelve new date ideas? We could do anything from a museum to volunteering to rappelling?” This one made me pause.  "Rappelling"?  Are we suddenly on The Bachelor now? Still, even though I don’t think we’ll actually make it to twelve, mixing up “date night” is not a bad idea. Any excuse for romance, right?  I'll share if we do try any new ones.

Honestly, though, my personal one for this year is an anti-resolution: none at all.  Just be. Be relaxed. Plan that trip to a new city and be excited. Be sad, rather than trying to gloss over that.

And be braver on my blog. When I do write, I want to try to air the good and the bad and whatever else comes up this year.  I tried to start that with my last post, and I'm going to try to continue throughout the year.

Even though it's an "anti-resolution", I feel like writing this down will give me the kick in the ass to keep it up, inspire me to open up a bit more.

What's your resolution for this year?

7 comments:

Erika said...

Love the idea of 12 new dates! Fun! And also-- totally resent the implication that black eyed peas are disgusting!! Hello!! Maybe you are cooking them wrong?? Because they are delicious and totally do not deserve that hateful face! :)

Aubrey said...

LOVE your anti resolution! I'm glad to read all of the good on your blog and am here to give support any time some of that bad or sad stuff is on your mind!

On another note, what cities are on your list?? Boston?! :)

Missy said...

We are trip-planning too my friend and so I agree that that is a great idea! Love mixing up the date nights too!
Try the black-eyed peas again and add in a little (like a teaspoon) of bacon grease just to give it some smoky goodness and add some slightly sweetened stewed tomatoes on top. Thats how we eat it (alongside a pork tenderloin and some sweet potatoes) and seriously its one of the best cold weather dinners.
Love you girl!

Josie said...

I adore your anti-resolution! And as for cities, can I nominate the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul)? Especially in the early summer, it's SO gorgeous and there's tons to do.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Christen said...

I'm intrigued by the black-eyed pea advice... hmmm... I just opened a can, heated them, and called it a day. Bacon grease and tomatoes are a great idea, though. Will have to try!

Thanks for the city suggestions. I absolutely LOVE Boston, Aubrey! All my cousins are up that way (about an hour outside) and Boston is such a charming, beautiful city with salt-of-the-earth people. It's definitely one of my favorites! And Minneapolis looks incredible, Josie!! I'm going to have to add that to our travel list. I think we've settled on San Francisco! It'd be too cold to visit during our spring break to go there, but we're thinking that maybe we'll check it out this summer? Anyone else gone there? Aubrey, do I remember reading on your blog that you went?? Anyone feel free to share suggestions if you've visited! ;)

Sarah said...

Hi Cristen! I noticed that we read some of the same blogs so I'm now following you and will be reading yours in my rotation! Anywho, my hubs HATES black eyed peas too! Can't wait to see which city you choose to visit and I might have to look back and see if I can find pics from your France visit. I miss Paris so much! Hope you'll stop by and follow back!

Anonymous said...

Great resolution. Just be. Just love. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...