Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just do it #11: No "to dos" for 72 hours


Every summer, I make a long "to do" list. I figure with two+ months off from teaching, I can become a greener, fitter, more organized, happier person. This year's is ridiculously long. In fact, it's so mammoth that it could spank any others I've ever written. You see, I was feeling lost, exhausted, unappreciated, and bored at the end of this school year. While I never "phoned in" my teaching, every time a student whined, "Why can't we pick our own seats?" or a colleague bitched "Why do we have paper limits?!", I cringed... and died a little inside.

Yes, I know, that's as melodramatic a statement as the eighth graders I teach, but bottom line: I was down.

My usual solution to feeling upset it to try to "think" my way out of it. I plan, come up with options, and, of course, make lists. The first item on this summer's to do list?


#1- Soul search about my profession

Yes, this lofty goal was on the same list as "make homemade ice cream", "find another cute sundress" and "organize attic". In the words of Sesame Street: which one isn't like the other? And this strategy didn't work anyway. The more I ruminated about my job, the more lost I felt.

Then, Dan and I got away to Ocracoke Island this weekend. And for 72 hours, I shelved the damn list.

For 72 hours, Dan and I went without answering our phones, checking e-mail, watching television, or getting a "to do" list item done.

We stayed at a shabby, adorable B&B for $70 a night:



What was on our rigorous agenda?

Well, here's how we got around absolutely everywhere:

To see things like this:

and this:

where we judged sand sculptures like these:


We drank here:

read books side by side here:

checked out side streets:

checked out the parade:

watched this:


all while feeling like this:

Incidentally, I had picked up a book on happiness and career searching and read it on the front porch of that B&B. An entire chapter was about how trying to "think" yourself out of feeling lost doesn't usually work. How getting away can help. And having faith. With all that bike riding and reading and ice cream eating and hanging with Dan, I remembered several reasons why I like my job, namely that I do have a two month break every year.

Being a hopeless list-aholic, I decided to make this one of my "just do it" challenges, although I suppose it's not really one. So, I got away to the beach for a weekend! Big deal. I didn't really solve anything.

But that's okay.

6 comments:

Nat said...

Sometimes it's good to have days with no to do's!!! Don't worry I understand the job frustration, and I usually try to think it through and it never works. Good luck figuring it all out :)

Josie said...

This sounds like the PERFECT getaway. Unplugging can be so good for the mind, soul, AND body. It looks like you had a fab time!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Strand Family said...

It looks absolutely wonderful. My brother's fiance's family has a house on Ocracoke and he always tells me how amazing it is to visit.
I hope the trip was able to help you clear your mind. Maybe start with the little things on the list just to cross a few off? I always think I don't have discipline to do everything on my list, but I really think it is more that I don't have enough time. So frustrating!

Hattie said...

I hear you on the job front. I think all of us are feeling that way after the year we've had. I just try to remember that the amazing, surprising, and yes, sometimes frustrating, kids are the reason I'll be back in August.

I'd love the name of your b&b. I've never found one with such low prices that looks so nice!

Christen said...

Hattie, the b&b is the crew inn. It was a little shabby, but perfect for a low key weekend. I'd still totally recommend it!

Anonymous said...

This blog almost got me to offer "advice." It was tempting. Glad you are asking deep questions and getting away for it all, including the lists. Can hardly wait to do that myself in three weeks! Two weeks off!! It will be great. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...