Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer, summmer, summertime!

The last week of school is kind of like an overly long, overhyped New Year's Eve.

I always think it's going to be like 3.... 2.... 1... SUMMER!

Really, it's more like 3...2...1...



wake up to blaring alarm... press snooze...finish grades...box up room... shred important documents...skip workout to go to last meetings...8th grade "graduation"...sign a hundred yearbooks.... say goodbye...




crash.

I slept in until noon the morning after the last day of school. And Dan and I haven't stopped sleeping since then. Hence the two + break from blogging.

But now? I'm feeling like this:

3 ...




Photobucket

2 ...
Photobucket

1...

Photobucket
SUMMER!! IS!!! HERE!!!!!






Dan and I just returned from our mid-week trip to Ocracoke Island.
Photobucket
A nice way to spend a Tuesday :)





We stayed at this no-frills motel, which had signs posted with things like, "Please do not use bed linens for cleaning fish. We have towels in front office for that purpose." I shudder to think of what necessitated that sign. Seriously? There are people out there who need to be told not to gut fish on their beds??





At least the place rented bikes for $2 an hour. And it had a pool. :)
Photobucket





We biked to our favorite beer and gourmet store for happy hour both nights. (Side note: See the lights hanging on the ceiling of the porch? That's what I want to add them to our backyard soon!)
Photobucket


Photobucket
We knocked another new restaurant off our "12 restaurants in 12 months resolution", the Back Porch, aptly named for its huge screened-in dining area.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
One gratuitous food shot: bacon wrapped scallops. I didn't try scallops for twenty-five years because I thought I was allergic. Turns out, I'm not, and I'm making up for lost time now.
Photobucket




Basically our trip was composed of swimming, sunbathing, taking walks, reading, listening to the same Beatles coverband two nights in a row (Dan couldn't stop smiling and rambling about the Abbey Road medley the band ended with both nights.)



Oh and, of course, we took cheesy photos.



This island has a serious pirate obsession.
Photobucket




My pirate face kicks the sh*t out of whatever Dan was doing.



Not that it was a competition, but if it was, I would have totally won:

Photobucket

Yeah, yeah, my face is not near the hole, but the pirate attitude is there, no?




I have several blog posts I finally have the time to write (yay for time) that will be coming soon. For now, I'm off to sleep without setting the wretched alarm. What up, summer?

5 comments:

Christen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

oooh, i make bacon wrapped scallops at home with an orange sauce. so good...

Josie said...

Yayyyy! Lady, this looks like a much-needed, much-deserved little getaway. And what a beautiful spot!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Anonymous said...

You definitely make a great pirate (not that it's a contest of course). Glad you and Dan know how to enjoy life! --SMC

Strand Family said...

Looks amazing...but what kind of hotel doesn't let you gut your fish in your own room. That's crazy talk! Every time I stay at the Sheraton and Hilton I gut fish and nuke them on the coffee pot burner :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...