Sunday, April 13, 2014

Home trend bandwagon

I am realizing that I tend to jump on home trend bandwagons with gusto (*cough... chevron! numbered stairs! decals! ikat!).  Add a new one to the mix: Moroccan stencil!  

My before of my dining room:


And now with a new paint color and after stenciling one wall:

The paint color is toasted almond, which I had leftover from my living room and foyer.  The pea green paint just had to go.

This accent wall was the Everest of getting all DIY-y and crafty for me.  There was swearing, people.

I just used this stencil I bought at Hobby Lobby and leftover trim paint in a satin sheen finish.


The sections around the door were mind-numbingly slow to do...



Basically, I grabbed a piece of cardboard and an Exacto knife and traced a small piece of the stencil onto it so that it would fit in the area between the un-stenciled wall and the kitchen entryway's moulding.





I have to say that I love the finished product:



It looks even better at night, but I couldn't get a photo that accurately captured it.








What else?  Oh, I moved the photos of my grandparents and of Dan and I on our wedding day:


The mirror was a Target find ($25 during recent home sale!)

The first time, we didn't secure it to the wall well enough and it crashed down in the middle of the night, and Dan ran downstairs in his boxers with a baseball bat and I was clutching my cell phone and standing at Coleson's door all, "Try to take my baby and I'll throw your ass down the stairs!!"  See, you thought this was just a home post, but you are getting peeks into our world!  Anyhoo, Dan discovered that the mirror had just fallen (miraculously not breaking), and it took us about an hour to get back to sleep after all the excitement. 

This bad boy is now practically soldered to the wall.




So call me a follower, but I have jumped on this trend.  I'm thinking this is one that will seem silly ten years from now, like 80's floral border or something, but right now I am loving it.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh, what a difference! You did SUCH a good job! And I think the pattern is perfect. It's not so crazy that you'll get sick of it soon. PS- How the heck did you have time to do this with a baby?! You're awesome!

Nat said...

It looks great!! I love the change! I also want to say that I'm super impressed you took on that project with an infant. My DIY skills have dropped of significantly post baby

Aubrey said...

LOVE the wall!!!

Mrs. 5C said...

I love it!!! It seems classic to me! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...