Monday, September 3, 2012

9 gifts in 9 months

My friend Mali is a giver.  She's the type of person who will burn you a cheesy "teacher mix" before the first day of school to make you smile or bake some amazing dessert before you come to hang out.  So about a year ago when she told me about her idea to give a pregnant friend the sweetest "Congrats!  You're having a baby!" gifts ever (and then "casually" mused out loud that she would just love if someone would do it for her when her turn came), I mentally filed it away for later use.  After all, Mali is such a sweet friend, and she never asks for anything.

Dan and I have always done something special for friends when they are expecting babies.  Dan's trademark for his friends, who are fellow fans of the Redskins, is to buy a bottle emblazoned with, "Dallas sucks!"  The guys love it!  My approach has always been decidely girlier; you might remember that with my friend Missy's second child, Mali and I took her out for tea time (pinkies up!) and treats, and then when the baby was born, I gave her a restaurant gift card since I suck at making freezable casseroles. 


But after Mali's comment a year ago, I had the best idea ever for a pregnancy gift:  nine children's books, one for each month of the pregnancy period!  Great idea, right? Again, I can't take any credit since it was Mali's conception. I definitely had fun putting it together, though, so I thought I'd share.  To stay on a budget, I went to discount stores for some of the baby books, so I could splurge on the books for when her baby isn't quite so small anymore. Quick note: I waited until she was fourteen weeks along before I gave her the first three books, each with a different tag on the reason I picked it.

**  Mali, if you are reading, stop here because I'm going to reveal a few books I haven't given to you! :)

Anyway, here are the books all wrapped in pastel tissue paper:






And below is a list of what was written on each card and what book lay inside the tissue paper:
1) For baby's colorful side:
I kicked things off with these three large crayola books to teach a toddler the colors.

2) To being the bigger person
Then, I chose this awesome book for an older child about turning the other cheek. 

Then, for month three, I strayed from the book theme by giving her some goodies...

3) For late night cravings


Yep, pickles and ice cream flavored candy!

 


4) To discovering hidden talents

Something about Frederick gets me every time.  It's so simple and sweet.

5) Books to drool over

I bought a few of those square baby books that are designed for infants to gum.

6)For a bit of silliness



I thought this book was just weird enough.  I remember reading it as a kid and wishing passionately that it would rain ice cream.



7)  "Scarry" stories to tell in the dark
Hardy har!  See my pun here?

8) To using imagination:
This is a classic about what one boy dreams up with his purple crayon.




And the last one was:

9) To friendship!

What better one to end on than this quirky book about give and take in friendship??

4 comments:

Josie said...

Christen, this is so freaking cute. I'm kind of obsessed right now. What a fun idea, and the wrapping is gorgeous!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Christen said...

Thanks!! I had so much fun making it, and she seems to really love opening one a month so far :)

Strand Family said...

I love this! So many great kids books out there to pick. I saw someone who did an advent calendar with Christmas books. I think I'll do that with Penny when she's a little older.

TheLab said...

ooooh ooooh! I CANNOT WAIT to steal this idea! Can you come wrap them for me, though?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...