Sunday, December 19, 2010

Screw "surprise Christmas": an update

As mentioned in my previous post, my sister-in-law Emily declared that her side of the family should try to surprise one another with presents this year, rather than giving ones that we had requested.

Bolstered by this holiday spontaneity, I bought my sister Bethany a peacock blue top that she hadn't asked for. I was smug about my purchase: it was a vivid color, would fit her perfectly, and seemed like exactly her style.

Turns out I was right.

Guess what Bethany showed up this weekend wearing after she did a little shopping for herself?
You guessed it: the same damn shirt.

The above photo is her practicing a "surprised" face. (I told her she can return it later for whatever she wants since a fiftieth trip to the mall might just make me snap. She happily agreed.)

Guess I'll be sticking to the Gift Message Board in the future! At least she has no clue about the homemade gift I mentioned in my last post...

Just as I was about to lose hope in all that is "Surprise Christmas", Dan and I received a phone call from Emily. Turns out Little Ms. Surprises got a huge shock of her own last night: her boyfriend proposed! Apparently he had taken her to hear the symphony at the Kennedy Center, and afterward he walked her out back by the Potomac River, pulled out a vintage ring, and asked her to marry him.

Dan and I drove to meet his mom and them out for lunch and hear all the details.

The happy couple:
Okay, okay, you have redeemed yourself, Surprise Christmas!

1 comment:

Josie said...

Okay, so that's a good surprise. But I'm not going to lie, I know that if I tried Surprise Christmas, it would be JUST like what happened with your sister. Disaster.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...