Friday, August 7, 2009

The "Getting listy with it" list

I love lists.

* I love books about lists. *
* I love when magazines publish stories like, "30 things to do before turning 30" and "101 places to see before you die" and "15 ways to be greener" *
* I am dying to see Julie and Julia, because the author cooks her way through an entire recipe book, a mammoth list of 524 dishes.*
* I think there is something incredibly intimate about reading a blog with someone's life "to do" list, and I feel a hiccup of satisfaction when I see that a person has checked off an item.*
* I like how tidy lists are.*
* I think Dave's Top Ten Lists are hilarious.*
* I have a bunch of ideas of lists to post here on La Vida Lista. *


But you already know all this, so I'll stop before the theme of this blog gets too annoying.

For a gal who started this blog with a rather large "to do" list, not much has gotten done around here. I actually have to blame the list for this. Because there are so many items crowding one another out, it never seems like the time to start that herb garden or to take that trip. Instead, the list seems kind of daunting, and some of the items are so everyday (ahem.. "create a file system") that, well, I'm too bored to even start, especially when I've been soaking in summer. Where's the sense of adventure? Where are the great ideas for blog posts?

So, I have a new tactic to get myself to try new things and accomplish items that have been simmering on the metaphorical back burner for way too long now: I'm throwing the list out.

Instead, I'm borrowing the format I saw on the oh-so-lovely blog Keeping Her Cool and my cool friend Laura's Strand Family Adventures. Every month or more, I will have a post called "Just do it!" where I will accomplish one new, scary, fun, helpful, charitable, kind, intellectual, spiritual, or romantic feat that I have wanted to try.

The Rules:
1. Must post what I'm going to accomplish ahead of time on my blog in order to hold me to it
2. Must be interesting enough to write about (sayonara to the item about buying a new fridge)
3. Must be something that makes me slightly uncomfortable or take some work
4. Must finish one item a month, although I can do more if I'm really kicking ass.
5. Must write about the experience, even if I fail or don't even try it. (One of the most interesting posts on Keeping Her Cool was about how she didn't try riding a mechanical bull, even though she had intended to.)
6. Does not have to be on original list

Thanks for reading. Oh, by the way, I really like you if you got my lame-o pun of the Will Smith rap (see title.)

For my first "Just do it" challenge, we'll start with something small and sweet:

Make breakfast in bed for Dan.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I love lists too!!!!! So good to find someone that shares that love with me :)

Happy Saturday Sharefest!

Mikki Black said...

Cool idea. I'm a lister, but my mom is the list lover. I'll have to show her this idea: I bet she'd adore it!

Happy Saturday, SITSta.

Unknown said...

My husband drives me nuts with his lists. lol Guess he's not the only listmaker out there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope you'll make it a habit.

Jeanette said...

I need to be a lister. Of course then I would misplace the list. Too funny! Happy Saturday Sharefest!

Carlito86 said...

I have to write lists all the time. They keep me calm!

Strand Family said...

Awww...I'm glad I inspired you. Do you have the 1001 books to read before you die? I pretty much had a panic attack when the came out with the 2nd edition because now it is over 1200 books if I count the new ones and the ones they took off. Have I already asked you this? I think I did...but it was that traumatic for me!
Can't wait to read all your Just Do It posts. I have a few more Becoming Me ideas cooking...

Ali said...

I like these new rules. Very realistic, can't wait to hear more!

Aline said...

I like this idea..

Cheryl said...

Hi Christy Girl, I finally got time to chech out your latest blog entries. Sooo glad your going to go to Italy. Good luck with the Italian language. We have tapes if you're interested in borrowing them. Dan is a lucky man and your blogs about him are really heartwarming. Love, Mom (Cheryl)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...