Saturday, May 16, 2009

The "graduation" list

Ms. Cranky writes... Top Five Things I Hate About Graduations:
5. The extended journey metaphors and comments about how "'Commencement' means 'beginning'"
4. Introduction speeches: does anyone care about the speaker's credentials? Is it truly necessary to have a speech that sets up another speech?
3. Looooooooooooong processional and recessional
2. Graduates who don't get any applause when they walk across. (I always find myself clapping wildly in an outpouring of sympathy.)

and the number one thing I hate about graduations is...
1. The fact that graduates never seem to throw caps in the air anymore! How about a little enthusiasm? Throw that mortar board in the air a la Mary Tyler Moore!


Last weekend, Dan and I visited in Alexandria and viewed my sis graduating with her master degree in psychology (following in mom's footsteps!) The actual graduation was pretty boring (see above list of "Top Five Things I Hate About Graduations"). It spanned over two hours and had the requisite dull speeches complete with quotes from clever politicians or writers, none of them witty enough to hold my interest. I was the antsy one who kept looking through the pictures on my digital camera and getting church laugh every time Dan sighed wearily or mumbled under his breath, "Let's start to wrap this up, lady" when the final speaker droned about how important it is that alumni donate money to the Marymount University after graduation.

While the ceremony may have been one, long, tedious roll call, I really did feel touched throughout the day when I reflected on my sister's accomplishments. She read to me from her class journals before the ceremony, explaining a particularly interesting assignment where she had to select a photograph that represented her view on counseling (apparently psych majors appreciate symbolism as much as nerdy English teachers, like me!) My favorite moment of the day, however, was when Bethy first stepped into the aisle to walk towards the stage. Dan and I were sitting in a balcony seat nearby and screeched out, "Bethy!" so that we could snap a picture.

Here's what we ending up getting:



At first glimpse, I was so disappointed that the picture simply looked like a parade of black caps and gowns. Then, I started to zoom in and saw....




Crazy Joker grin + kid who just saw bike on Christmas morning= my sis in this picture!

I can't even express how this picture captures everything I love about Bethany: her unbridled enthusiasm, her inner child, her crazy happy smile of relief and joy to celebrate her accomplishment. That is one happy girl, huh?

Actually, make that two happy girls!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...