Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm sick of all the Thanksgiving pies...

said no one ever!

I know you are probably already having pumpkin and apple pie on Thursday, but if you want to branch out to something new, take a digital trip across the pond and try this English treat:  Banoffee Pie.

      As promised, I wanted to share the recipe I found for it. To recap, this pie is the love child of a toffee and banana, a suprisingly amazing couple!  Fair warning:  it's very rich and cavity-inducing sweet.  If you're not the type to enjoy, say, a hunk of fudge from the beach boardwalk, it may not be your thing.  Me?  I love it.

      I had heard about it only once before in the movie Love Actually.  You know, in this scene:




If you remember, the guy she's offering it to refuses it, and she responds, "Thank God!  You would have broken my heart if you had said 'yes'!"

I understand, Kierra.

I used this one from My Sister's Kitchen, who borrowed it from Our Best Bites.  Everyone's stealing this recipe, I tell ya!  There's no need for me to post the blow by blow here since she gives some helpful tips and the whole run-down and ingredient list on her blog.  Just click on the above link.

Just to show you how easy it was, though, here's what you will need: 



You can make your own toffee sauce by boiling sweetened condensed milk for two hours, but since there's a chance of a caramel explosion if the can is not covered with water, I just went with Dulce de Leche sauce from Whole Foods.  Take a graham cracker crust, spread fourth of a jar of dulce de leche sauce, put a layer of cut up bananas, sprinkle with toffee pieces, create the topping (see above link for how), and sprinkle more toffee on top.  Make and eat on same day to avoid slimy bananas.  As if you have a choice on waiting to eat this amazingness!



Here I am starting to cover the pie with the cream.  Notice the one slice with no bananas??  That was for Dan (Mr. Picky) since he doesn't like them.  I covered his part with cream too, and he loved it, even though it was just dulce de leche sauce, toffee, and cream.


I forgot to take a final picture, but it looked something like this:


Wiping drool off my keyboard right now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the twist in the opening line! Very clever. The pie sounds amazing! --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...