Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tardy for the party

Happy New Year!! Errr... a bit belatedly!

Don't mind this teacher's tardiness. It's all I can do to get my body back on school schedule and not "stay-up-until-2:00 am- looking-at-endless-trailers-on-You-Tube-and-then-sleep-in-until-11:00" time. Winter break rocks my world. :)

Sorry also for the cheesiest title ever.


Since NYE is "amateur night", we try to stay out of the bump-bumpin' clubs and scary roads. This year we just did dinner out together and then some champagne and games with friends. Oh, and the new Italian restaurant where we ate calamari, steak, and the best tiramisu was our twelfth new restaurant in Richmond this year. Yes, this means we completed our resolution to try 12 new restaurants in 2011! Yay for finally completing a resolution, albeit a totally easy, indulgent one. More on all that deliciousness tomorrow!

Dan and I kept our New Year's Day traditions, which include:

Buying a lottery ticket



The above picture is from last year. Ours for this year isn't a scratcher. We'll be watching the drawing to see if we're millionaires tonight. And cashing a surfboard size check tomorrow.

Registering for the HGTV Dream Home

Every year, HGTV starts a contest for a dream home on New Year's Day. We're all in. You see, Dan's the eternal optimist who really thinks he has a real shot at winning any contest. I'm totally all about home shows and blogs. Put us together and you have a couple who tries daily to win the dream home. Every. Single. Year. And feels genuinely pissy when we don't win. :)

Making brinner
As I wrote last year, I once went to a wedding where the couple served breakfast food for dinner because "you have breakfast when you start something new". So sweet and fun and unconventional. It's the beginning of a new year, so I have adopted this as our tradition. Really, though, any excuse for waffles works for me.

As for resolutions, I tried to come up with something fun, like my 2009 one to "take more photos". Dan suggested that I do a "try six new things", which seemed conveniently vague, so I may do that. I've toyed with coming up with a different date idea each month, or learning to play tennis. I'll let you know what I settle on.

** Update:  We decided to try twelve new things (restaurants, activities, ventures, etc.) this year.  
Honestly, I am loving reading all of the blog resolution posts. Some are so ambitious and impressive, which inspire me to want to sweat it out at the gym. Others are refreshingly sweet, like "keep life simple" and "just be". I love the latter. I have a tendency to want to jam too many goals in at once, so there was something about that one that stuck with me.

I thought I'd leave this first post of 2012 with a peak at one definite goal:


Bring the beret back in style.

Photobucket

This very blurry, iPhone pic is of Dan and I sporting berets.

Think we'll succeed in igniting a trend? :)


Why are we wearing these stylin' hats? They were a gag gift from my sister-in-law Emily. She wanted to help us look tres chic because Dan and I are going to France later this year! Can you tell we're excited??



Side note: I'm pretty sure if we wear these for a novelty photo in front of the Eiffel Tower, we will be the most hated Americans in Paris ever.

If any of you have been to France and have tips or suggestions, this girl is all ears.


Au Revoir, 2011. Bonjour, 2012!


pictures via here

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Love the idea of trying 6 new things! But why not make it 12? One for every month. And it can always be something little, like a new food, or going to see a movie genre that you don't normally like. Happy New Year!

Strand Family said...

Oooh, France!! Very exciting! I think you have to wear the berets in front of the Eiffel Tower.
Oh, and the breakfast for dinner thing started because breakfast is my favorite food. It was the only meal at Longwood that both Chris and I would always make it to the dining hall together so we joked we should have it at our wedding. My dad turned it into the cheesy thing about "starting something new" when he gave the speech, but hey, lots of people liked it :) I love that it is part of your new year's resolution.

Christen said...

Ha ha- I'm all about brinner, so no judgement here! I remember how the wait staff called you the "breakfast bride", which I thought was really cute.

Josie said...

FRANCE? So exciting! And, uh, I'm with you on brinner. Hello, deliciousness.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Missy said...

Loved having you kids over for game night....the competitiveness (doubt that's a word) is awesome and I love how you do it all sweetly and add "Boo" and "Hon" to your calling out of incorrect play.
Learning something new or doing something different every month is an awesome idea too! As is brinner.....truly one of the best ideas ever and so easy and quick to make.

Christen said...

Ha ha- we started calling each other "boo" as a joke after hearing it in a few R & B songs, and now it's totally stuck into an embarrassing habit.

Had a great time with you guys! Also, your decorations and kitchen looked so gorgeous...

Anonymous said...

12 new restaurants was a great resolution for last year. Loved how your captured the essence of each. Hmm. 2012 resolution. How about 12 things to let go of...? We all have stuff that holds us back.... At least I do. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...