Saturday, August 27, 2011

La Vida Lista Encyclopedia: Volume E

I needed a break from blogging to deal with a few things, but I'm back with...

La Vida Lista Encyclopedia: Volume E!



Here are a few things currently going on in my life that begin with the letter "E":

Earthquake, The

You all may have heard that there was an earthquake in Mineral, Virginia that was felt through several other states too. Apparently, Dan and I are morons because we didn't even know it was an earthquake when it was happening. We were eating outside in Williamsburg, VA, and at first we thought the earth was shaking because a nearby water heater was buzzing slightly. It wasn’t until a nearby kid said to his grandpa, “Did you feel the tremor?” that the light bulb went off for us. Yes, an eleven year old figured it out faster than these two thirty-somethings.

Ever since 'Quake 2011, it has been NON-STOP fodder for "I survived an earthquake!" hysteria around Richmond. Never mind the fact that some people didn't even feel anything at all. It's actually a bit comical at this point, seeing that no real destruction was caused in Richmond. One panic-stricken teacher at my school almost shrieked, "One of my wine glasses cracked!" If Californians could hear these comments, they would probably pee their pants from laughing... given that they know what real earthquakes are like.

One of my friends told me about this picture that has been circling the Internet that I thought summed up some of the panic best. A guy sent this picture to a local news station:

Here was his tagline: Thanks to all of you for your kind words of support, as we look to recover from the devastation of today's quake!
I guess his picture is a good reminder that it could have been much, much worse and how we should all count ourselves very lucky.

This brings me to...

Electricity, No

Our house has been without electricity since 12 a.m. yesterday due to Hurricane Irene. We've been camping out at a nearby grocery store to use free WIFI all of today, hence the above picture of me with unwashed hair (can't use hair dryer).

Anyway, we knew this might happen earlier this week, so I got my Girl Scout on and bought a ton of energy bars and water. I put Dan on buying a lantern and batteries. Of course, he is not as anal as I am and forgot to go lantern shopping until Friday afternoon. When he went to three different stores, all he could find was spulunking lights that attach to one's forehead.

And to get him back for forgetting to get said lantern, I've made the executive decision to share ONLY the pictures of him wearing the gear!

For your viewing pleasure:





And here's a very dark picture of him reading in bed:


Yep, we read, played chess, and generally hung out for about five hours wearing lights on our forehead. Here's hoping the electricity comes on soon before we get a permanent flashlight-shaped indentations...

Lastly, I thought I'd end with the funniest homage to "E"


Eighties Hair, unintentionally:
You may be asking, "How can hair be unintentionally 80's looking?"

Answer: A hyper hairstylist with too many hairdos to do

My sister was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding recently. A few stylists came to the hotel room to do everyone's hair before the wedding.

The bride got an elegant chignon.

The other seven bridesmaids got rather boring, but classy looking French twists.

My sister's turn was last. She told the stylist that she trusted her, and that she could do whatever she wanted.

Mistake.

But such a funny mistake!

During the styling, Bethany didn't have a mirror near her, but the stylist kept coohing, "Oh! You're going to love this! This is my favorite one yet."

Here are the hilarious iPhone pics that Bethany sent to me during the wedding:


That is a total side ponytail, my friends!


Bethany and I couldn't stop laughing afterwards about this! She actually looked cute with it still, even though she could have passed for a Pretty in Pink extra. (I'm dying to show you the pictures with her and all the bridesmaids because it's like the Sesame Street game, "Which one isn't like the other?" I'll post as soon as she sends them to me!)

So there you have it: Volume E! Hope you enjoyed! Oh, wait... here's one more:

Errors, I hope there are no

No home Internet = no way to fix errors = an English teacher's pet peeve

2 comments:

bethany said...

Hahahahahaha....cannot stop smugly laughing about 80's hair drama. I have lived through that so many times! How can a stylist who does everyone else's hair fairly well go SO, SO wrong?! Oh my. I feel like I'm always the girl who that happens to. So, I feel for your sister. Eeek! But she still did look pretty, 80's side pony aside. :)

So happy to lived through the "enormous" quake...and through Irene! And you have some sweet head gear to show for it!

Josie said...

Glad to hear that you not only survived the earthquake but the hurricane as well! I'm super glad you're safe. And your sister does look cute, but I TOTALLY see what you mean!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...