Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Monument 10K

"Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild." - Ron Burgandy


If anyone had asked me three years ago to go running, I would have grimaced and responded something like, "Meh..."

But I have to say that there is one event I do love to quasi "train" for and that is the annual Monument 10K in Richmond. I ran it for the first time three years ago and couldn't get enough of the energy and people watching. And I finally understood the concept of running/ jogging/ limping long distances for that runner's high.

You're right, Ron Burgandy. Yogging is kind of "wild"!


Anyhoo, in an effort to have a better experience than last year's pathetic show, I actually prepared somewhat this time around. My sister Bethany joined me (her first 10K!) and we rocked it out! Or at least we deluded ourselves into thinking we did.


Here we are letting out a victory woop when we saw a camera man at mile 6:




I thought I'd also share a few things we saw along the way...


* People dressed for the costume contest, like the girls above dressed as "toilet paper mishap."

* An Elvis impersonator singing hits

* Over 40 bands, ranging from classical to rap to hard rock.

* Yoga gurus sitting in giant lotus flowers and channeling calm to the 40,000+ runners

* A couple with a sign that read "Free high fives!" joyfully slapping outstretched hands

* People cheering from row house balconies, drinks in hand at 9:00 in the morning

* A bull dog donning VCU gear in support of the bball team being in final four

* A family giving away Krispy Kreme donuts to negate any calories burned :)

Awesome signs

Starting with my favorite...

But here are a few more...
As we began the race, this one freaked us out: Next rest stop: 6 miles.

This one made us feel like total bad asses: If it were easy, I would be running it.

One written by a Jillian Michaels on Red Bull: YOU CAN WALK WHEN YOU GET HOME!!!

And this one was just hilarious: Chafe now. Brag forever!

And inspiration:

On a serious note, we also saw many runners with signs emblazoned with messages of love and hope for loved ones with cancer. Some were running for family members that had passed, including one woman who had lost her mother only two months before. I can't even begin to imagine such a loss, and our hearts went out to everyone who carried these signs. Every time my sister and I saw one, we also looked at each other. I guess she was thinking the same thing I was, about how lucky we were to be healthy and running together on that beautiful, spring day. It's probably the most significant reason why I've enjoyed running this 10K every year, feeling that immense gratitude.

1 comment:

Josie said...

This is AWESOME, Christen. I just can't handle running but so admire those who can... And I think it's great that you have the discipline to do this!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...