Sunday, May 17, 2009

The unathletic list

My greatest athletic accomplishments are so few and far between that they can barely compile into a list:
1. Running the 10K this past March
2. Learning how to throw a frisbee straight rather than having it arc into the air and then boomerang back in a stiff breeze to hit me in the forehead
3. Hole in one at Putt Putt

One guess which athletic feat of wonder is the most significant to me...

I "trained" (AKA randomly pushed myself to run until I felt my legs burn) for the 10K throughout the winter, running endless circles on the track at my gym and doing ridiculous stretches after each session (garnering smirks as I did the butterfly and pushed off the wall as if gearing for Olympic sprint). On the 10K day, I ran the entire six mile course and felt terrific afterwards. Then I promptly took a very long break. Weeks long.

When I was about to run a 5K (notice 1/2 the distance!!) this past weekend, I thought it would be a breeze! Um... no. My middle school students who had helped organized the event fluidly raced by me, and I almost felt bile rushing into my throat the last mile. Yes, my friends, it may be time to work out regularly again.

Dan snapped the above picture as I limped across the finish line.

That big grin? Happy to be finished!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...