Monday, September 30, 2013

Love Dub's Nursery

This is now my favorite room in the house, a true labor of love, and I'm finally calling it done after months of adding to it.

 It started with a purchase of an Etsy print with teal, mustard, and grey, the color theme of the room and went from there. Then, I decided on the theme: peaceful woodland motif.  My sister in law teased me that my theme for our son's room is "animals that love babies", and she's probably right!  I included deer, tiny birdies, and owls... you know, all the adorable Bambi characters with huge, eye-lash framed eyes.   And, yes, owls and birdies are probably overly trendy, but I still love them!

Here it is: 



I started by deciding to keep the rug and wall color from the original office, just to save on cash.  I figured the wall color was neutral enough and the busy rug can potentially hide puke stains from a crawling little one.

I spent about three hours adding the wall decals of trees and leaves to half of the room.  The only way I talked Dan into it is that they can be removed with a hair dryer when we decide to sell.  He was nice enough to get on a ladder to do the higher parts.



I bought the bird house for $4 from Walmart and painted it a mustard color:





The birdie and polka dot bedding is from Land of Nod.  Mr. Owl is just hanging out in the crib until our boy arrives, and then it's strictly SIDS safety time sans the quilt or toy.


I was going to buy a new light fixture, but then I read that fans actually decrease the risk of SIDS, so instead I wired a mustard print lamp shade in place of the outdated bulb.


I wanted to include a lot of aqua/turquoise and found a changing pad that in non-porous (i.e. pee and poop proof) and doesn't require a cover (less laundry, hopefully).

Organizing has never been more fun :)

These diapers signed by guests at my shower crack me up!  I've resolved to only read these five and save the other ones for when I'm postpartum and exhausted:


Here is the bookshelf with advice books, stories for him, toys, and breast-feeding supplies (I've decided to give it a try and see how it goes).  The lamp is from Target, from the "leaving to go to dorm" college section. I like that it has a blue lining that reveals itself when it's lit:




Here's are the two Etsy prints that inspired the color scheme:


Books from loved ones:



My two splurges were the glider and ottoman (both from Target).  I wanted something with a tall enough back to be comfortable for Dan:

No one in my family understands my love for the ceramic deer head.  They remarked several times about it being bound to terrify our guy, but I still think it adds a touch of modern, trendiness to the room, plus it goes with the "we're in the woods" theme.

Lastly, my favorite touch is probably this painting that my friend Katelyn painted for me!  She saw the nursery when it was under construction and made a custom little owl family in the same colors I was using:



I mean... can we talk about this cuteness??

So that's the virtual tour of the 10 by 8 nursery that could!  It will never be this organized or clean again, so I'm glad I documented it now.  :)

7 comments:

Mrs. 5C said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love all the details... and I totally dig the deer head. Your family has no idea what they're talking about. ;)
I didn't even know changing pads like that existed!! Brilliant!!
You'll be so happy you have those books in bins. K's favorite activity for a very long time was pulling every book out of the shelf. Bins make clean up easier. :)

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! It looks amazing! I love all of the little touches! And love what you did with the shade on the fan. SO CUTE!

Erika said...

Wooo!! Looooove it!! So peaceful and fun!! I love that glider, too! And the colors! And everything!

Missy said...

Awww....I LOVE it!!! It is so pretty and yet boyish at the same time. You guys did a really great job! Can't wait to see you soon!

Aubrey said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE it It looks perfect. Can't wait to see pics of it with your little guy hanging out in there :)

Nat said...

The nursery looks awesome!! I love all your attention to detail I absolutely love your glider. That little owl painting from your friend is too sweet. That's one lucky little boy!

Strand Family said...

It's beautiful! Essential to have a good glider.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...