Friday, August 17, 2012

Step by Step

Sing it with me! 

"Oooh, baby!  Gonna get to you girrrrl!"

Fellow children of the early 80's, who was your favorite?  Was it the youngest with his baby blues Joey? Or were you a bad boy fan with the pierced Jordan?


 On the count of three, let's all blurt out which NKOTB boy we had a crush on.   
Ready?

One...

Two...

Three!

Danny!

I kid, I kid! I remember having a lively debate over which boy was hottest with my second grade friends, but we all agreed that the horsey Danny was not our favorite.  Do you concur?

via

This is the wierdest intro I've ever had for a post.  Moving on!

With my summer winding down (this is my last week day off), I decided to jam in another Pinterest inspired project: numbered steps.  This is a trend that I see as being very taste-specific, so it will not surprise me if this is not most people's decor choice.  There is just something about bold numbers on stairs that I find kind of whimsical and crisp.

My inspiration photo:

 via Pottery Barn

First, I showed my stairs some TLC.  They had become rather chipped and scarred, and not in a "look-how-shabby-chic-we-are" way.


 Yeesh... 

I painted all of the stairs in Behr's paint and primer in one in semi-gloss.  It was much more time consuming than I thought it would be, but at least I could watch 500 Days of Summer with Dan through the arm rail slats as I worked.

While I debated whether I should use a stencil to paint the numbers on the stairs, Dan reminded me that when we sell our house the realtor might ask us to remove the numbers since they're taste specific.  I settled on vinyl rub-on numbers since I can blow my hair dryer on them and peel them off easily if we need to.   The numbers come from OZA Vinyl Graphics on Etsy and were pretty simple to use.

I simply measure the stairs, taped them in place, used a pencil to mark where to put them, peeled off the backing, rubbed each one on, and peeled off the top layer.  I know that sounds like too many steps (pun!) but it wasn't nearly as time consuming as painting all of them and went quicker than I had anticipated.

First numbers:

In progress:





I like this landing now.  It could use a bit more black-framed art, but it's so much warmer than before.

I feel like the numbered stairs kind of go with the black frame on the art (sentimental wedding gift featuring the bridge in Central Park where Dan proposed):



Again, it's probably not everyone's thing, but I'm liking this wierd trend.  It's like eyeliner for my steps, making them pop a bit.   Look at them, all flirty now like, "Here we are!"
Off to enjoy my last day off!

4 comments:

Strand Family said...

As usual I have many comments:
1. Not having TV at home really limited my pop culture. I totally missed the NKOTB thing. I had friends who were in love, but I never could tell them apart.
2. This was the first time I've seen numbered steps. I like them. they remind me of my dad. From as long as he can remember he silently counts stairs every time he walks up or down. A little obsessive with numbers, but hey, he only missed 1 math problem on the SAT so his brain is totally different than mine!
3. I don't think I knew you got engaged at central park. We got engaged on a big boulder with that same bridge in the background. We had about 30 british tourists and Chris's family watching. I used to have a very similar sentimental photo but it got ruined in one of our moves.

Christen said...

I didn't know you got engaged in Central Park! So sweet that he had the family there; was there applause when you said yes?

Laura said...

That turned out sooooo cute! I love this! I wish my stairs weren't covered in stupid carpet. :)

For some reason my favorite New Kid was Donny, which looking back was gross, he was NOT the cutest, but now, he looks ok. He is a Wahlberg. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! I count stairs often, sometimes unconsciously and other times to see how much exercise I am getting. --SMC

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...