Thursday, April 19, 2012

More Frenching

Sexy title, right?  I had to go there, since Day 4 of our trip was spent at the over-the-top, indulgent Versailles.   I know it's touristy as it gets, but I've always wanted to see it since I saw the eye candy in Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette (you know, the one where Kiersten Dunst plays her with a Californian accent?)

These pictures probably don't need much explaining.

Gate crashing with 10,000+ other people.  We were the geniuses who decided to go on Easter, the palace's busiest day of the year. 

Two hours of lines later, I snapped this pic of the understated ceiling of the Hall of Mirrors:



Stopping in the tourist shuffle to take a pic:

 Yes, I did get my pretentious on by wearing scarfs constantly.  At least I didn't bring my beret.


Below is the open hall of the smaller palace (Petit Trianon). 
 You know, the one the royalty used for bumming around because it's such a dump. 


Beautiful grounds with fussy trees
(reminds me of that icky Gillette commercial):

We finished by checking out an entire quaint village that was created for Marie Antoinette to enjoy with her friends.  I'm talking nine adorable, full-size buildings with thatch roofs, an intricate dairy tower, and a barn created for one royal who wanted to play village peasant once in a while.  I can see how this ticked off the lower class back in the day, but very cute to explore now!





I loved how these goats were hanging out in the tubs when we passed.  I'm thinking they probably have a pretty cushy life at Versailles.



After Versailles, I got Dan to check out the pastry shop that made all the fancy cakes for the Marie Antoinette movie.




Dan's artsy pistachio cream puff:

Mine tasted like creme brulee meets a Krispie Kreme doughnut.  There was burnt sugar on the first layer= yum.

So that concludes are day checking out how the royals lived. :)

3 comments:

Josie said...

How GORGEOUS. I'm outrageously jealous.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Meghan said...

I SO need to return! These pics are making me miss Paris like no other! So gorgeous!

Amanda said...

How incredible is the palace! I loved it, although we didn't end up making it to the gardens! Oh well :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...